Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deletion of threads?

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    Hi

Should threads be deleted (by the OP?) once replies have been made? I started to help someone yesterday with some mechanics questions, and returned to the forum this morning to find the entire thread deleted.

I appreciate frustration with some that answers aren't handed out on a plate but if help is started, then isn't it just rude to remove a thread?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2
    We generally do keep and close threads if there are replies. Please report the thread and ask for reconsideration. It's likely not a permanent delete.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  4. Jun 28, 2013 #3
    I can't report the thread as the entire post has gone :) It was to do with coefficients of restitution and conservation of momentum, and I think the OP was something like tauwee?

5. Jun 28, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

OP not only cross posted, but have also shown no effort. Some of the threads were deleted by one Mentor, some by the other, for different reasons. I am not convinced this thread is worth of keeping, but here it is.

6. Jun 28, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

maybe PF could develop a two step delete, where the thread is locked, offending content obfuscated and moved to a deleted thread forum which is periodically cleaned out like windows two step file delete. This would allow posters to gather their posts if so desired before it disappears forever.

7. Jun 28, 2013 #6
    Oh OK, that's fine - just used to (at another forum) things not being deleted once answers (or prods) have started.

8. Jun 28, 2013 #7

Borek

In general we don't delete threads with answers, if it happens it is in most cases just a slip.

9. Jun 28, 2013 #8

jtbell

In some cases, the only responses are requests for clarification, without any further responses by the OP. If there has been no further progress yet, and the OP did not show any initial effort, I would consider those worthy of deletion.

Rather than try to help someone who shows no initial effort at all, we prefer that you simply report those posts so we can remind them officially that they need to show some effort.

10. Jun 28, 2013 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some mentors (Mark44 comes to mind) will send a PM to anyone who posted in a thread that is being deleted, just as a courtesy. I think this is a nice practice.

11. Jun 28, 2013 #10

jedishrfu

Yes, I liked that too. He's a great mentor.

12. Jun 28, 2013 #11

Mark44

:smile: :smile: :smile:
    Thanks, guys! You made my day!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook