Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delicate devices transportation

1. Feb 11, 2005 #1
    For the upcoming experiment I am working on, we bought a 100,000$ power supply. This is just a 2 m high box, full of HV electronics in order to deliver a controlled 500A current under a stable 5V or less. It feeds magnetic superconducting coils. Anyway, this box was written "FRAGILE" on it, "THIS SIDE UP", and had all the warnings required. Besides, the transporter signed for the shipping under well-defined stringent conditions, such as "using an air cushion" and other precautions that have not been respected. They dropped the box from at least 3m high :bugeye: and never told us anything. :eek: Would we have turned it on, any person within a few meters around the box could be dead now :surprised (possible electrical arcs). Maybe less important, but kind of important to me, it has been two years now I began working on the preparation : today, some people say this experiment simply cannot take place. :cry: Others prefer to wait for expertise.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is terrible!!!! :frown:

If the power supply has to be replaced, how many months will it take?

How difficult will it be to get the experiment re-scheduled?

4. Feb 11, 2005 #3
    If the experiment is re-scheduled, it will take place in two years : there are many other experiments scheduled after ours, among which many are basically ready to begin. Since beam time is so expensive, we cannot afford to wait, even a few weeks is not reasonable.

5. Feb 11, 2005 #4

Evo

OMG!!!!! So it will delay your PHD 2 more years? :cry:

Hopefully there will be another suitable power supply you can borrow. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Evo<----puts her arm around humanino We will send MIH after the trucker that did this. :devil: (she's been practicing) :approve:

Next time you need anything shipped, let me know, we can put it on the supersonic RV. There are plenty of cushions in the RV lounge. :wink:

6. Feb 11, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope they gave you back the hundred grand... :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.Work in theory.Pencils are not fragile material... :tongue2:

7. Feb 11, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Excuse my irony.I didn't realize it was that bad... :frown:

Daniel.

8. Feb 11, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's awful!!! Here's your introduction to the American legal system...SUE the trucking company, not only for the cost of the equipment, but for the cost of lost time on the project (2 years of even a lowly grad student stipend adds up to a lot of money, include your tuition fees, your airfare to the US, lodging expenses, etc.) I don't know how easily you can do that, but at least thinking about it should help make you feel better...maybe. :frown:

They should definitely be responsible for the cost of the equipment damaged if they were negligent in their handling, especially when proper precautions were specified. Dropping something that says "FRAGILE" is definitely negligent.

Of course none of that helps you with the delay it will cause to your project. Is this experiment essential to your PhD, or can you substitute something else considering this was really something entirely outside of your control?

Have a good cry, stomp around, punch a wall, get drunk...you deserve to be mad today.

9. Feb 11, 2005 #8
    I would actually either begin another one, or just switch to another experiment.

:rofl: Thank you Evo. You are so nice.

10. Feb 11, 2005 #9
    Don't worry, I am actually considering to switch to theory. The reason I chose experimental physics was that to me, this separation theory/experiment is artificial and this project is closer to my conception : first predict new phenomena (this was done by theoreticians) and then confront to Nature (this is the difficult part).

11. Feb 11, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's good you have a back-up plan on this. At least now when someone asks why you went into theoretical instead of experimental physics, you'll have a really good story to tell.

12. Feb 11, 2005 #11
    The insurance compagny had been notified, and the process has already begun :mad:

This experiment was actually the core of my PhD : prepare it (almost done), do it, and analyze it.

I will, but i could have even without this good pretext :tongue2: :rofl:

13. Feb 11, 2005 #12

Evo

Yeah, sue them!!!! I think all of us at PF that are sharing your pain are also due financial compensation from that company for our mental anguish. :tongue2:

14. Feb 11, 2005 #13
    :rolleyes:
    This is indeed an invaluable loss for the entire mankind, intellectual progress is so important :uhh:

15. Feb 11, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:frown: I feel so disappointed for you. I can't even imagine how you must feel right now. I think I'd be feeling sick to my stomach over it.

But, I can tell you this much...if you can get yourself through this experience and stay in science, you'll be able to survive anything else thrown your way.

16. Feb 11, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was this funded by US or French tax dollars? Darn right I want compensation if that trucking company just led to the waste of my tax money! :mad:

We're here for you. If you need to rant, rave, fume, swear in little asterisks (I guess we can't let you around the censoring rule), go for it! If I could give you a hug and buy your drinks tonight, I would.

17. Feb 11, 2005 #16
    You should have written the label in English. Who the heck understands French? "Fragile" what does that mean?

18. Feb 11, 2005 #17

eax

look it up

19. Feb 11, 2005 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's disgusting... :yuck: Someone making fun of Tribby's jokes... :tongue2: :tongue2:

Daniel.

20. Feb 11, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry to hear about this Humanino. In addition to a another member here, a friend of mine had similar bad luck. It may not help much but you're not alone.

Also, usually any incidental or consequential damages are waived under the shipping contract. The only liability is the value of the goods. You can sue anybody for any reason, but your chances of winning may not be very good.

21. Feb 11, 2005 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?