1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deligne Dam of Cayley River

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    (1 pt) The Deligne Dam on the Cayley River is built so that the wall facing the water is shaped like the region above the curve y=0.7 x^2 and below the line y= 300. (Here, distances are measured in meters.) The water level is 38 meters below the top of the dam. Find the force (in Newtons) exerted on the dam by water pressure. (Water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3, and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/sec^2 .)

please help with this problem. I've been working on it every which way I can and my integrals STILL WRONG. URGH!!

as well as this problem :
    (1 pt) A trough is 7 feet long and 1 foot high. The vertical cross-section of the trough parallel to an end is shaped like the graph of y=x^{4} from x=-1 to x=1 . The trough is full of water. Find the amount of work in foot-pounds required to empty the trough by pumping the water over the top. Note: The weight of water is 62 pounds per cubic foot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you've been working on it "every which way", tell us what you have done so that we CAN help you.
  4. Mar 29, 2006 #3
    (1000 * 9.8 ) * integral of (sqrt(y*4/0.7)(300-y)*dy) from 300 to 0 <--that is wrong...i also dont what to use as my d? for pdg
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?