Dell Computer Not Charging

In summary, the Dell Inspiron 1525 is experiencing an issue where it is not charging, despite being plugged in. The battery has been replaced with no success and the computer must be constantly plugged in to run. Computer shops suggest changing the hard drive, but the problem may be with the charge circuitry or motherboard. A new charger has also been purchased with no success.
darshanpatel
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and it won't charge. When I plug it in the charger, all it says is "Plugged in, not charging." I have replaced the battery but it still won't work, what is going on? Also, there is not enough power in the computer to keep going, so the charger has to be plugged in 24/7 for the computer to run. The problem is the battery won't charge, it detects the charger and everything.

I have taken it to computer shops and they say to change the hard drive which is useless because I don't have that much money.
Is there any other way to fix the problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The charge circuitry may be broken--does the computer (I'm assuming you're using at least Windows XP) read information from the battery, or recognize that it's plugged in? There should be some information (battery capacity, manufacturer, manufacture date) when you open up the power setting menu. If not, I'd try cleaning the electrical contacts if they're particularly grungy (use isopropyl alcohol and compressed air).

If that doesn't fix it, there's probably something wrong with your charge circuitry, and you may need to have your motherboard replaced. I'd contact DELL.

Likes WWGD
Sorry, I don't mean to gravedig, but my computer DOES recognize the charger being plugged in, becuase when I go onto the little battery symbol in the toolbar, it says "plugged in, not charging"

I have bought a new charger but no success

When this happened on my MacBook it was because the motherboard went bad and the cost of repairs was about the same as just buying a new one.

Based on the information provided, it seems like there may be an issue with the charging circuit or components in your Dell Inspiron 1525. It's possible that the charger itself is faulty, or there may be a problem with the charging port on the laptop.

One potential solution is to try using a different charger to see if the issue persists. If the problem is resolved with a different charger, then the original charger may need to be replaced.

If using a different charger does not solve the issue, then it's likely that there is a problem with the charging circuit in the laptop. In this case, it may be necessary to have the laptop serviced by a professional technician. They will be able to diagnose the exact issue and determine if any components need to be replaced.

In regards to the suggestion to replace the hard drive, it's important to note that a hard drive issue would not usually affect the charging functionality of a laptop. It's possible that the computer shop was suggesting this as a potential solution to an unrelated issue.

In summary, it's best to start by trying a different charger and then seeking professional help if the issue persists. It's also important to make sure that the laptop is not left plugged in for extended periods of time as this can reduce the lifespan of the battery.

1. Why is my Dell computer not charging?

There could be several reasons why your Dell computer is not charging. It could be due to a faulty charger, a damaged charging port, or a software issue. It is also possible that the battery itself is no longer functioning properly.

2. How can I troubleshoot my Dell computer not charging?

First, try using a different charger or charging the computer in a different outlet. If that doesn't work, check the charging port for any damage or debris. You can also try resetting the computer's power settings or updating the BIOS. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to replace the battery or take the computer to a professional for further diagnosis.

3. Can a virus or malware cause my Dell computer to stop charging?

It is possible for a virus or malware to interfere with the charging process on your Dell computer. It is important to regularly scan your computer for any malicious software and to keep your antivirus software up to date.

4. My Dell computer is plugged in, but the battery is not charging. What should I do?

First, make sure that the power outlet and charger are working properly. If they are, try removing and reinserting the battery. If the battery is removable, you can also try cleaning the contacts. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the battery or seek professional help.

5. How can I prevent my Dell computer from not charging in the future?

To prevent future charging issues, it is important to use a high-quality charger and to take proper care of the battery. Avoid overcharging or completely draining the battery, and keep it away from extreme temperatures. Regularly cleaning the charging port and keeping your computer's software updated can also help prevent charging issues.