1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta-Epsilon Limit

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, so I was reading my Real Analysis Text and there was a proof that Lim sqrt(Xn)=Lim sqrt (X). They had two cases, one where Xn=0 where they use the Delta-Epsilon limit test and it makes perfect sense to me. However, they also show the example where x>0. obviously since x>0, Sqrt(x) is also >0. They prove it without using the E-D method and I am trying to prove it using it. Ill show my first few calculations ill use S(Xn) to denote sq. rt. and e to denote epsilon:
    e>0 is given
    |S(Xn)-S(x)|<e after multiplying by (S(Xn)+S(x))/(S(Xn)+S(x)) i get: Xn-X/(S(Xn)+S(x))<e now it would also be true that Xn-X/(S(Xn)<e from here, i do not know how to continue the proof in order to solve for it. If i squared both sides, i would have a nasty polynomial on top and that wouldnt offer much help.. any advice?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF olds442.
    Your notation is not very clear, so let us first find out what you meant :smile:

I suppose you meant we have a sequence [itex](X_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] of real numbers whose limit for n to infinity is X, and you want to prove that
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{X_n} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{X},[/tex]
    which is [itex]\sqrt{X}[/itex].
    What do you mean by "Xn = 0", that each element in the sequence is zero (for all n?). Then you talk about x > 0, what is x? Is it X ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    I am sorry for the terrible notation.. Your latex example is what i meant. Here is how it is written: Let X= (Xn) be the sequence of real numbers that converges to x and suppose that Xn is greater or equal to 0. Then the sequence Sqrt(Xn) of positive roots converges an lim(sqrt(Xn)=sqrt(x)

It proves the case where x=0 using d-e, and i get that no problem.. i am having problems simplifying and showing the limit for the case where x is strictly greater than 0 using d-e. does that help? sorry for tripping you up with poor notation.. i am a rookie at trying to type it on computers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?