1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta epsilon limits

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that lim f(x)=L as x approaches a , prove that lim (x+f(x))=a+L as x approaches a View attachment 9630 . Your proof cannot assume that the limit of a sum of two functions is the sum of their individual limits. You must use the delta-epsilon definition of limit in your proof.
    and
    Given that lim f(x)=L as x approaches a , prove that lim x*f(x)=aL as x approaches a

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    attempt is in the attatchment

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

That part is wrong, you cannot sub L for f(x) like that, it's not correct.

Now, back at the start, the problem gives that:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = L[/tex], and you must use this to prove: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} [x + f(x) ] = a + L[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = L[/tex] means that, for any arbitrary small [tex]\epsilon[/tex], there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex], such that:
    [tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/tex]

What we should prove is:
    For any arbitrary small [tex]\epsilon_1[/tex], there exists a [tex]\delta_1[/tex], such that:
    [tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta_1 \Rightarrow |[x + f(x)] - [a + L]| < \epsilon_1[/tex]

We will deal with this part:
    [tex]|[x + f(x)] - [a + L]| = |(x - a) + [f(x) - L]| < |x - a| + |f(x) - L|[/tex]

Now we choose, [tex]\epsilon = \frac{\epsilon_1}{2}[/tex].

Now, there should exists a [tex]\delta[/tex], such that: [tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \epsilon = \frac{\epsilon_1}{2}[/tex]
    Choose [tex]\delta_1[/tex], so that: [tex]\delta_1 = \mbox{min} \left( \delta, \frac{\epsilon_1}{2} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\delta_1 = \mbox{min} \left( \delta, \frac{\epsilon_1}{2} \right) \Rightarrow \delta_1 \leq \delta[/tex], so we have:
    [tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta_1 \leq \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \epsilon = \frac{\epsilon_1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\delta_1 = \mbox{min} \left( \delta, \frac{\epsilon_1}{2} \right) \Rightarrow \delta_1 \leq \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]

Now, if we have:
    [tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta_1 \Rightarrow |[x + f(x)] - [a + L]| < |x - a| + |f(x) - L| < \delta_1 + \epsilon < \frac{\epsilon_1}{2} + \frac{\epsilon_1}{2} = \epsilon_1[/tex], so:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} [x + f(x) ] = a + L[/tex] (Q.E.D)

Is there any where unclear?
    Can you do the same to part II? :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  4. Mar 30, 2007 #3
    Thank you, I do have one question

Why did you choose to divide epsilon 1 by 2?

5. Mar 30, 2007 #4

mjsd

Homework Helper

because eventually you wanna sum up two of them.. and 1/2 +1/2 =1 gives you just one epsilon... and this matches the target you wanna reach. that's all

6. Mar 31, 2007 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Since you want to prove that:
    [tex]|[x + f(x)] - [a + L]| = |(x - a) + [f(x) - L]| < |x - a| + |f(x) - L| < \epsilon_1[/tex], i.e, the sum of |x - a|, and |f(x) - L|, so it's natural to choose the sum of [tex]\frac{\epsilon_1}{2}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{\epsilon_1}{2}[/tex], as [tex]\frac{\epsilon_1}{2} + \frac{\epsilon_1}{2} = \epsilon_1[/tex].
    Then assign [tex]\delta, \ \delta_1 , \ \epsilon[/tex] wisely, so that: [tex]|x - a| < \frac{\epsilon_1}{2}[/tex], and [tex]|f(x) - L| < \frac{\epsilon_1}{2}[/tex]

7. Feb 8, 2008 #6
    I think I understand the process shown for the above proof but if someone could provide the second part it would improve my understanding. Given that lim f(x)=L as x approaches a , prove that lim x*f(x)=aL as x approaches a using the delta epsilon definition of a limit. This would be much appreciated. Thanks.

8. Feb 8, 2008 #7
    just try it yourselves! Use the method and I'm confident it will work out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?