Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta-epsilon method

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

Hi,

I had the following question of a student this day about proving the following limit:

[tex]
    \lim_{x \rightarrow 3} x^2 = 9
    [/tex]

So this means that I should prove that

[tex]
    |x-3| < \delta \ \rightarrow \ \ |x^2 - 9| < \epsilon(\delta)
    [/tex]

So I had the following idea:

[tex]
    |x^2 - 9| = |x-3||x+3|
    [/tex]

The first term on the RHS is smaller than delta. For the second term I write

[tex]
    |x+3| = |x-3+6| < |x-3| + 6
    [/tex]

So I get in total

[tex]
    |x-3| < \delta \ \rightarrow \ |x^2 - 9| = |x-3||x+3| < |x-3|(|x-3| + 6 ) < \delta(\delta + 6)
    [/tex]

So choosing

[tex]
    \epsilon = \delta(\delta + 6)
    [/tex]

should prove the statement, right? But if I see the book they're using (Apostol) I see that they "choose" |x-3|<C, try to make an inequality then for |x+3| etc. But for me that seems making things more difficult then they are. So my question is: is my answer described above right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I mess up the latex. For the most part your method is sound. However, delta should be a function of epsilon since delta must exist for all epsilon. With the way you've done things getting delta as a function of epsilon is a bit messy. I would suggest limiting yourself to an interval around 3. Doing this with the interval (0,6) allows you to simply say |x+3| < 9 and you get [tex]|x^2 - 9| = |x-3||x+3|<9|x-3|[/tex]. This way you can choose [tex]\delta = \epsilon/9[/tex].

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

I would get

[tex]
    \delta = \frac{-6 \pm \sqrt{36 + 4 \epsilon}}{2}
    [/tex]

If I take the positive sign I get

[tex]
    \delta = \frac{-6 + \sqrt{36 + 4 \epsilon}}{2}
    [/tex]

For this particular delta it's true that it exists for all epsilon>0, right?

However, aren't you getting then an extra condition on |x-3|? So |x-3| is not only smaller than delta anymore in your proof; you also get |x-3|<3, right? So you get

[tex]
    |x-3| < \delta \ \ \ \ AND \ \ \ \ |x-3|<3
    [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  5. Sep 28, 2010 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I find these extra conditions (limiting first to a certain interval) more messy than using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

6. Sep 28, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You are NOT allowed to choose [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. You are given [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and want to choose [itex]\delta[/itex] to give that [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

No, it does not "prove the statement". You are going the wrong way.

7. Sep 28, 2010 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

Why I'm going the wrong way? I've now found that
    [tex]
    |x-3| < \delta \ \rightarrow \ \ |x^2 - 9| < \epsilon(\delta)
    [/tex]
    where the arrow is read as "implies", for the delta
    [tex]
    [/tex]

8. Sep 28, 2010 #7
    You have written ε and a function of δ. You have it reversed. δ must be written as a function of ε.

"For every ε, there exists a δ such that...."

Because ε is in the outermost scope, δ may be written in terms of ε. However, since ε is a constant with respect to the rest of the expression, what you have above is incorrect.

But you're pretty close. In particular, if you haven't made a mistake in your algebra (I haven't checked), then you can easily turn:

[tex]

[/tex]

into an equation of the form "ε = ..."

9. Sep 28, 2010 #8
    Whether [tex]|x-3|<3[/tex] is imposed or not does not change the fact that [tex]|x-3|<\delta[/tex]. These statements do not contradict eachother, you still end up with [tex]|x-3|<min(\delta,3)\leq\delta[/tex].

10. Sep 29, 2010 #9

haushofer

Science Advisor

In my openingpost I had

[tex]

\epsilon = \delta(\delta + 6)

[/tex]

directly. I have to think about this more, but at this point I really don't see why I cannot use this epsilon to complete the proof.

11. Sep 29, 2010 #10

haushofer

Science Advisor

Ok, that's what I understand, but not why my approach in my openingspost is wrong. Sorry if I'm being a pain in the ***.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook