1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta - epsilon proof

1. Apr 21, 2004 #1
    Ok well i did problems like this before but now im having trouble with this one for some reason.

Let [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]. Give a [tex]\delta[/tex] - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] proof that [tex]f(x)[/tex] has a limit as [tex]x \rightarrow 4[/tex].

So the defn of a limit is
    [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0[/tex] such that whenever [tex]0 < |x - 4| < \delta[/tex] then [tex]|f(x) - l| < \epsilon[/tex]
    Assuming the limit we are trying to prove is [tex]l[/tex].

So i know i somehow have to turn [tex]|f(x) - l| < \epsilon[/tex] into something with [tex]x - 4 < ...[/tex] and that will prove that the limit exists. Am i correct? Am i on the right track? can i assume that [tex]l = \frac{1}{2}[/tex] since [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. There exists no general technique to find a limit.
    What the d,e-business is about in this case (I think), is to investigate whether an arbitrarily chosen number l is, in fact, the limit value.
    So, it is perfectly legitimate to investigate whether the number 1/2 is the limit value or not.

4. Apr 22, 2004 #3
    Well, I tried to do this, but I sort of got stuck at the end, so if anyone can check & let us know where I've gone wrong and how to complete it correctly, I'd appreciate it.

I started with the "guess" that the limit is 1/2, and therefore we need to show that
    [tex] \left| \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} - \frac{1}{2} \right| < \epsilon \: \text{whenever}\: 0 < |x-4| < \delta[/tex]
    If I combine the fractions and require δ < 1, then 3 < x < 5 and √x > 1, so
    [tex] \left| \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} - \frac{1}{2} \right| = \left| \frac{2 - \sqrt{x}}{2\sqrt(x)}\right| < \left| \frac{2 - \sqrt{x}}{2}\right| < \epsilon [/tex]

[tex] -\epsilon \;< \; \frac{2 - \sqrt{x}}{2} \;<\; \epsilon [/tex]

[tex] -2\epsilon \;< \; 2 - \sqrt{x} \;<\; 2\epsilon [/tex]

[tex] -2\epsilon -2 \;<\; - \sqrt{x} \;<\; 2\epsilon -2 [/tex]

[tex] 4\epsilon^2 +8\epsilon +4 \;>\; x \;>\; 4 - 8\epsilon + 4\epsilon^2[/tex]

[tex] 4\epsilon^2 + 8\epsilon \;>\; x-4\; >\; 4\epsilon^2 - 8\epsilon[/tex]

[tex] 4\epsilon^2 - 8\epsilon \text{ is no good, since for small values of }\epsilon \text { that will be negative,}[/tex]
    [tex]\text{ so does this mean that for any value of }\epsilon \text{ , choosing}[/tex]
    [tex] \delta \;<\; 4\epsilon^2 + 8\epsilon \:\text{satisfies the proof?}[/tex]

I really don't feel good about this conclusion and I'm getting confused over the directions of the inequalities, so someone please help.

Edit: well, the more I look at it, the more convinced I am that this is wrong, so if anyone can help, please do.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  5. Apr 22, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|2- sqrt(x)| < (2+sqrt(x))(2+sqrt(x)) = |4-x| < d

that any help?

6. Apr 22, 2004 #5
    No, I still don't see it.
    I assume you meant to write |2- sqrt(x)| < (2-sqrt(x))(2+sqrt(x)) = |4-x| < d

But we need
    [tex] \left| \frac{2 - \sqrt{x}}{2\sqrt{x}}\right| < \epsilon[/tex]

whenever
    [tex] \left|2-\sqrt{x}\right| \left|2+\sqrt{x}\right| = \left|4-x\right| < \delta [/tex]

and I'm still not seeing how to relate ε to δ

Presumably we need
    [tex]\delta = ({2+\sqrt{x})\epsilon}[/tex]
    but I don't know how to accomplish that.

7. Apr 22, 2004 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet you know something smaller than (2 + &radic;x)&epsilon; that doesn't depend on x!

8. Apr 22, 2004 #7
    I should probably stick to my own homework. :redface:

That was all wrong. Still working on it.

9. Apr 22, 2004 #8
    OK, now I let δ = 3ε, and keep the restriction 3<x<5 which is reasonable since we're interested in values of x close to 4.

So if
    [tex] 0 < |x-4| < \delta[/tex]
    then
    [tex] 0 < |\sqrt{x}-2|\times(\sqrt{x}+2) < 3\epsilon[/tex]
    Now divide by 3
    [tex] 0 < |\sqrt{x}-2|\times \frac{(\sqrt{x}+2)}{3} < \epsilon[/tex]
    And since √x is definitely bigger than 1, we know that
    [tex] \frac{(\sqrt{x}+2)}{3} > 1[/tex]
    so
    [tex] \left| \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} - \frac{1}{2} \right| = \left| \frac{2 - \sqrt{x}}{2\sqrt{x}}\right| < \left|{2 - \sqrt{x}}\right| < |\sqrt{x} - 2|\times \frac{(\sqrt{x}+2)}{3} < \epsilon [/tex]

Is that it? Did I spend all this time just to find that? :eek:

Now it looks right to me. Is anything missing?

Is there some obvious clue that I should have seen that would have told me to try δ = 3ε?

Thanks for your help, Matt & Hurkyl. Please let me know if this still needs more work.

(Edited to correct typos.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  10. Apr 23, 2004 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aside from the typo, looks right.

Incidentally, if you wanted to sew up the loose end, the trick to saying:

"OK, now I let &delta; = 3&epsilon;, and keep the restriction 3<x<5 which is reasonable since we're interested in values of x close to 4."

is "let &delta; be the smaller of 3&epsilon; and 1"

So that way you have both |x-4| < 3&epsilon; and |x-4| < 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?