Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Delta-Epsilon Proof

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the limit l for the given a, and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find a ∂ such that |f(x)-l| < ε for all x satisfying o < |x-a| < ∂.

f(x) = x4 , arbitrary a

(Spivak's Calculus 5-3iv)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

l = a4

The best I can do is show that |x2 - a2| < ε for |x-a|<∂1 = min(ε/(2|a|+1),1). After that, I get lost.

Since I found that |x2 - a2| < ε for |x-a|<∂1 = min(ε/(2|a|+1),1), can I rearrange |x4 - a4| to |(x2)2 - (a2)2| to find that ∂2=min(1,ε/(2|a|2+1)? This seems to be what Spivak's answer book is suggesting, but I'm not sure.

Can someone walk me through this? I'm pretty new to delta-epsilon proofs.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Have you considered the factoring:

a2-b2=(a+b)(a-b)?

It may help.

And ,

I heard it goes great with butter.....

4. May 22, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Sorry if the last comment above seemed weird: I was just making reference to

your name 'Mantequilla' .

5. May 22, 2012 #4
    Ahh, yes. It made me laugh when I read it. I would have responded earlier, but I've been terribly busy these past few days.

I'm still having trouble with this proof. Even though I have Spivak's answer, I just don't see how he arrives at it.

Using the (a2)2-(b2)2 factoring, we end up with (a2-b2)(a2+b2). The (a2+b2) part is giving me the most trouble, since I can't do difference of squares.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook