1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta-Epsilon Proof

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the limit l for the given a, and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find a ∂ such that |f(x)-l| < ε for all x satisfying o < |x-a| < ∂.

f(x) = x4 , arbitrary a

(Spivak's Calculus 5-3iv)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

l = a4

The best I can do is show that |x2 - a2| < ε for |x-a|<∂1 = min(ε/(2|a|+1),1). After that, I get lost.

Since I found that |x2 - a2| < ε for |x-a|<∂1 = min(ε/(2|a|+1),1), can I rearrange |x4 - a4| to |(x2)2 - (a2)2| to find that ∂2=min(1,ε/(2|a|2+1)? This seems to be what Spivak's answer book is suggesting, but I'm not sure.

Can someone walk me through this? I'm pretty new to delta-epsilon proofs.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Have you considered the factoring:

a2-b2=(a+b)(a-b)?

It may help.

And ,

I heard it goes great with butter.....

4. May 22, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Sorry if the last comment above seemed weird: I was just making reference to

your name 'Mantequilla' .

5. May 22, 2012 #4
    Ahh, yes. It made me laugh when I read it. I would have responded earlier, but I've been terribly busy these past few days.

I'm still having trouble with this proof. Even though I have Spivak's answer, I just don't see how he arrives at it.

Using the (a2)2-(b2)2 factoring, we end up with (a2-b2)(a2+b2). The (a2+b2) part is giving me the most trouble, since I can't do difference of squares.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook