1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta epsilon

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    how would i prove that lim of x^4 as x->p is p^4? x^4-p^4 = (x-p)(x+p)(x^2+p^2). I'm having trouble controlling the (x+p)(x^2+p^2) term without having to resort to proving for p > 0 and p < 0 seperately.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A standard idea is to place an upper bound on your delta to restrict x, then use this to bound the (x+p)(x^2+p^2) part. If you knew delta<=|p|, can you find an upper bound for |(x+p)(x^2+p^2)|?

This is assuming p is not 0. You could modify the delta above to something that would work in this case, or just deal with it seperately.
  4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    I get |x+p| < |3p| and |x^2+p^2| < 5p^2 if delta < |p|. So then 15p^3 is an upper bound. Is this correct? And as far as dealing with p = 0, can I just add one to the denominator? How did you come up with using |p| for delta?
  5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks good for an upper bound. If p=0, you can't take |p| as an upper bound for delta, you'd want something like |p|+1, but this makes everything else slightly uglier (but perfectly doable). Taking |p| as an upper bound for delta was pretty arbitrary, it just made sure x was positive (or negative if p was negative) and this looked a little cleaner. You could just as well take 1 as an upper bound for delta here.

In general you want to make sure your delta is small enough that the piece you're trying to bound is actually bounded on |x-p|<delta, usually you're trying to avoid zeros in the denominator or where the function otherwise "blows up"
  6. Sep 27, 2005 #5
    Thanks a lot for the help. I guess I had it right before, but it was really a mess without using |p| as the delta upper. as you said, this makes the upper bound much cleaner. For p=0, i just used delta = (epsilon)^(1/4).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?