1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta force

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In delta potential barrier problem Schrodinger equation we get

[tex]\psi(x)=Ae^{kx}, x<0[/tex]

[tex]\psi(x)=Ae^{-kx}, x>0[/tex]

We must get solution of

[tex]lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{d\psi}{dx}|^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}[/tex] and get the solution

I can say that the whole function is

[tex]\psi(x)=Ae^{-k|x|}[/tex]

I don't have first derivative in 0.

[tex]lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{0}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx+lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{0}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=0[/tex]

Why I don't get same solution different then zero like in case

[tex]lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{d\psi}{dx}|^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}[/tex]

?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, I'd like to point out how disappointed I was when I clicked on this thread and found that it wasn't a Chuck Norris movie:biggrin:

No you cant. The wavefunction [tex]\psi(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}Ae^{kx}, & x<0 \\ Ae^{-kx}, & x>0\end{array}\right.[/itex] is undefined at [itex]x=0[/itex] (as it should be for a delta function potential). The wavefunction [itex]\psi(x)=Ae^{-k|x|}[/itex] is defined at [itex]x=0[/itex]; the two wavefunctions are not equivalent.

I don't see how you are getting zero for that limit. Show the rest of your steps.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    [tex]
    lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{0}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx+lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{0}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=0
    [/tex]

[tex]lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{0}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx+lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{0}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{d\psi}{dx}|^{0}_{-\epsilon}+lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{d\psi}{dx}|^{\epsilon}_{0}
    [/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\psi}{dx}=kAe^{kx}[/tex] for [tex]x<0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\psi}{dx}=-kAe^{-kx}[/tex] for [tex]x>0[/tex]

[tex]lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{0}_{-\epsilon}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx+lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int^{\epsilon}_{0}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}dx=
    kA-lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0}kAe^{k\epsilon}-lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0}kAe^{-k\epsilon}+kA=2kA-2kA=0[/tex]

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4
    Double check your exponentials (hint hint) and maybe expand them out ignoring terms higher than [itex]\epsilon^1[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook