Delta function/fourier transform

In summary, the Fourier transform of g(k) can be expressed using the delta function, but the integral still needs to be evaluated using techniques such as the residue theorem or partial fractions. Trigonometric identities may also be helpful in simplifying the integrand.
CalcYouLater

Homework Statement

Hello. This question is about Fourier transforms and the Delta function.

Find the Fourier transform of:

[tex]g(k)=\frac{10sin(3k)}{k+\pi}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(k)e^{(ikx)}dk[/tex]

[tex]\delta(x-\acute{x})\doteq\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ik(x-\acute{x})}dk[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I began to solve this problem and quickly got to a point where I saw the above mentioned delta function representation. Using Euler's formula, I re-wrote the sine term. My question is, can I use the delta function here:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{5}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{ik(3+x)}}{k+\pi}-\frac{e^{ik(x-3)}}{k+\pi}dk[/tex]

Now that I have "said that outloud" it seems like the answer is of course not. I guess really I am just looking for a short cut to get out of doing a lot of math. Is there an efficient way of evaluating this integral without "trudging" through it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The Fourier transform of g(k) can indeed be expressed using the delta function as follows:

f(x)=\frac{5}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{ik(3+x)}}{k+\pi}-\frac{e^{ik(x-3)}}{k+\pi}dk

However, this integral still needs to be evaluated in order to find the final solution. There are a few techniques that can be used to simplify this integral and make it easier to solve.

One method is to use the residue theorem, which allows you to evaluate integrals involving simple poles like the one in this problem. Another approach is to use partial fractions to break up the integrand into simpler terms.

It may also be helpful to use trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand before attempting to evaluate it. Ultimately, there is no shortcut to finding the Fourier transform in this case, but there are techniques that can make it more manageable.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is the delta function and how is it used in the Fourier transform?

The delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinite. In the Fourier transform, it is used as a representation of an impulse or spike in a signal, allowing us to analyze signals with discontinuities or singularities.

2. How is the delta function defined and what is its integral?

The delta function is defined as δ(x) = 0, x ≠ 0 and ∫δ(x)dx = 1. This means that the function is zero for all values of x except at x = 0, where it is infinite. Its integral over all values of x is equal to 1.

3. What is the relationship between the delta function and the unit step function?

The delta function and the unit step function are closely related. The unit step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is equal to 0 for all negative values of x and 1 for all positive values of x. The delta function can be thought of as the derivative of the unit step function, as δ(x) = d/dx[u(x)].

4. How is the Fourier transform of the delta function calculated?

The Fourier transform of the delta function is given by F[δ(x)] = 1. This means that the Fourier transform of an impulse or spike in a signal is a constant value of 1. In other words, the delta function has a flat frequency spectrum.

5. Can the delta function be used to represent other functions in the Fourier transform?

Yes, the delta function can be used to represent other functions in the Fourier transform through the sifting property. This property states that F[f(x)] = f(0), where f(x) is a function and F[f(x)] is its Fourier transform. This means that we can use the delta function to extract the value of a function at a specific point, represented by the argument of the delta function in the Fourier transform.