1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta Function Integrals

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I feel like I am fudging these integrals a bit and would like some concrete guidance about what's going on.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate ##I = \int_{-1}^{1} dx \delta'(x)e^3{x} ##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I use integration by parts as follows,
    ##u = e^{3x}##
    ##du = 3e^{3x} dx##

##dv = \delta'(x)##
    ##v = \delta(x)##

##I = uv|^{1}_{-1} - \int^{1}_{-1} v du##

Evaluating ##uv## gives zero because the delta function is zero at both limits.

##I = - \int^{1}_{-1} dx \delta(x) 3e^{3x}##

Clearly, the only non zero value of this function is at ##x = 0##, making me think the answer to my problem is ##I = -3##, but this is the step that I think i'm 'fudging'. I feel like i'm disregarding the integration sign...

Is this justified?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's justified because ##\delta(x)## is centered in ##x=0##, which is contained by the integration limits.

4. Jan 1, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct. It sometimes helps to think of a finite spiked function instead of delta. Let's say it's 0 outside ##[-a, a]## for some small a, and has a value of ##1/2a## in that interval. The integral is then approx: ##2a \frac{1}{2a} e^0 = e^0##

5. Jan 1, 2016 #4
    I don't quite follow.

Where do you evaluate the limits?

I see that the spiked function is ##\frac{1}{2a}## inside this interval, and since (I assume) it's centered on ##0##, I see where ##e^0## comes from, but not the ##2a##.

6. Jan 1, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2a is the width of the interval. An integral is the area under a curve!

7. Jan 1, 2016 #6
    Ah!

I'm with you now. So an integral of a function multiplied by the dirac delta function is like evaluating the function itself at the point where the delta function is non-zero?

8. Jan 1, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's exactly what it is. You can think of the delta function as the limit of a sequence of rectangular functions with area 1. That gives some justification for things.

9. Jan 1, 2016 #8
    Cool - Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted