Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Delta Function Integration

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate:

[tex]\int_{-3}^{5} e^{-2t} sin(t-3) \delta(t-5) dt[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \delta(at-t_0) dt = \frac{1}{|a|}f(\frac{t_0}{a})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]e^{-2(5)} sin (5-3) = e^{-10} sin (2)[/tex]

The solution given by the professor was:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} e^{-10} sin (2)[/tex]

I don't understand where he got the [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] from.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    It's a bit cheeky, and technically your professor's answer is contestable. Because your integration limits are only up to 5, and the delta function is delta(t-5), you've only integrated "half" of the delta spike. Now, if that sounds absurd -- "how the hell can you only integrate half of an infinitesimally thin spike?!" -- just remember that the delta function itself is not really very sensible as a function anyway. Personally, I treat that sort of integral as badly defined; more specifically, since I'm a physicist, I arrange my physics so that the maths never requires me to contemplate these soul-searching issues :wink:

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Hm, interesting... I never knew that you integrate only half the delta spike.

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shouldn't. As genneth was pointing out, there are perfectly fine representations of the delta function in which you can get a completely different answer. The correct answer is 'undefined', with all due respect to the composer of the solutions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook