1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta Function Integration

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int_{-3}^{5} e^{-2t} sin(t-3) \delta(t-5) dt[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \delta(at-t_0) dt = \frac{1}{|a|}f(\frac{t_0}{a})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]e^{-2(5)} sin (5-3) = e^{-10} sin (2)[/tex]

The solution given by the professor was:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} e^{-10} sin (2)[/tex]

I don't understand where he got the [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] from.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    It's a bit cheeky, and technically your professor's answer is contestable. Because your integration limits are only up to 5, and the delta function is delta(t-5), you've only integrated "half" of the delta spike. Now, if that sounds absurd -- "how the hell can you only integrate half of an infinitesimally thin spike?!" -- just remember that the delta function itself is not really very sensible as a function anyway. Personally, I treat that sort of integral as badly defined; more specifically, since I'm a physicist, I arrange my physics so that the maths never requires me to contemplate these soul-searching issues :wink:
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Hm, interesting... I never knew that you integrate only half the delta spike.
  5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shouldn't. As genneth was pointing out, there are perfectly fine representations of the delta function in which you can get a completely different answer. The correct answer is 'undefined', with all due respect to the composer of the solutions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?