1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta function & kronecker delta

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Delta function and the Kronecker delta?

It seems that both are 1 at a certain point and 0 otherwise...

The delta function is a eigenfunction of x and the Kronecker delta is ...

i'm kind of confused..

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Delta function: Integral of f(x) F(x-a), where F is the delta function,
    =f(a) when a is in the interval, and integral =0 if a is not in the interval.

Kronecker delta G(n-k) (usually for integer argument, not real) G=1 for n=k, =0 for n not=k.

4. May 22, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From what I understand, the kronecker delta is just an abreviation. For exemple, if we have a set of orthonormal vectors [itex]\hat{e}_{i}[/itex]

Then the dot product of any two of these vectors can be expressed as

[tex](\hat{e}_{n}|\hat{e}_{k}) = \left\{\begin{array}{rcl}1 \ \mbox{if} \ n=k\\ 0 \ \mbox{otherwise}\end{array}[/tex]

So we write

[tex](\hat{e}_{n}|\hat{e}_{k}) = \delta_{nk}[/tex]

to compactly express this fact.

5. May 22, 2005 #4
    delta function

The delta function, delta(x), is infinite at x=0, zero everywhere else. It is what a normalized Gaussian "hump" looks like in the limit as its width goes to zero.

In contrast, Kronecker delta is not really a function at all ... more like an element of a matrix (the identity matrix). So Kronecker[ij] = 1 (if i==j), or 0 (if i!=j).

6. May 22, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Delta-Dirac is a distribution,while Delta-Kronecker is an invariant totally symmetrical tensor of arbitrary rank.

Daniel.

7. May 23, 2005 #6

aav

Also, both are used to express orthogonality, given a set of vectors, the arguments being the indices of the two vectors in question: the kronecker delta if that set is countable, the delta function if otherwise.

8. May 23, 2005 #7
    in an easy language, they are inherently the same (they have the same/analoguous meaning) but the Kronecker delta is the DISCRETE variant of the delta dirac distribution/functional. So the indices are discrete where they are continuous (they vary continuously) in case of the delta dirac distribution.

regards

marlon

9. May 23, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In de Witt notation,where the D-dim delta-Dirac is supressed,one only finds the Kronecker one.However,the Dirac one is commonly understood.

Daniel.

10. May 16, 2009 #9
    Re: delta function & kronecker delta

[tex]\delta[/tex]ij constitutes the identity matrix when:

([tex]\delta[/tex]ij)i,jn [that's NOT j to the n]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?