1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta Function

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    This isn't really homework, I'm just curious. So I'm dealing with the delta dirac function, and I was just wondering what would happen if we had two functions.

So the sampling property,

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)\delta(t-a)\,\,dt = f(a) [/tex]

Now what if we had:
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)\delta(t-a)\delta(t-b)\,\,dt =?[/tex]

What would happen?
    My guess would be the following:

If [itex] a = b [/itex]:
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)\delta(t-a)\delta(t-b)\,\,dt =\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)\delta(a)\,\,dt =\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)\delta(b)\,\,dt [/tex]

If [itex] a \neq b [/itex]:
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)\delta(t-a)\delta(t-b)\,\,dt = 0 [/tex]

Or is my answer or question just nonsense?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)\delta(t-a)\delta(t-b)\,\,dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} F(t)\delta(t-a)\,\,dt = F(a) = 0 [/tex]

where I have put [tex]F(t) = \delta(t-b)f(t)[/tex] so that [tex]F(a) = \delta(a-b)f(a)=0[/tex] if [tex]a\neq b[/tex]
  4. Jul 18, 2006 #3
    Thanks benorin!

That was (for lack of a better word) nifty how you just used the property that f(t)\delta(t-a)=f(a) by defining a function that encapsulated what was necessary to use the property :smile: Really cool.

Well, I'm actually glad I asked the question then.

Thanks again.
  5. Jul 19, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you want to combine delta functions, of somewhat more importance is the fact that
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x,y)\delta(x-a)\delta(y-b)dxdy= f(a,b)[/tex]
  6. Jul 19, 2006 #5

So I'm guessing that works as follows:
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x,y)\delta(x-a)\delta(y-b)dxdy= \int_{\infty}^{\infty}dy \, \delta(y-b)\, [ f(a,y) ] = f(a,b) [/tex]

Where, [itex] \delta(y-b) [/itex] is held constant while integrating through [itex] dx [/itex].
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?