Proving the Delta Function Property: \delta(ax) = {\delta(x) \over {|a|}}

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving the delta function and the substitution of variables, and addresses the issue of absolute value brackets arising in the solution. It is determined that the absolute value brackets can be manually inserted or obtained through considering the two cases a>=0 and a<0.
Pacopag

Homework Statement

I would like to prove that [tex]\delta(ax)={\delta(x) \over {|a|}}[/tex].
My problem is that I don't know how the absolute value brackets arise.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x)dx = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I start from [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (ax) dx[/tex], and make the substitution [tex]u=ax[/tex], so that [tex]du=adx[/tex]. Then I arrive at the answer, but without the absolute value brackets.
I think that it is true that [tex]\delta(ax)=\delta(-ax)=\delta(|a|x)[/tex]. I realize that if a<0, then we would reverse the direction of integration upon the substitution for u, so we would get the negative of the expected result. So do we just manually insert the absolute value brackets to make sure we get the correct sign, or is there a way to get the absolute value brackets to come out in the math?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pacopag said:
I think that it is true that [tex]\delta(ax)=\delta(-ax)=\delta(|a|x)[/tex]... or is there a way to get the absolute value brackets to come out in the math?

That's not math? :bugeye:. If you aren't convinced yourself, you can apply the definition of the delta function to see that this is indeed true.

Everything you said is correct and the absolute value comes out if you consider the two cases a>=0 and a < 0. If a < 0 then, as you said, you get that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (ax) dx = \int_{\infty}^{-\infty} \frac{\delta (u)}{a} du = -\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\delta (u)}{a} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\delta (u)}{|a|}[/tex] since -a = |a|.

Great! Thank you both.

1. What is the Delta Function Property?

The Delta Function Property is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of the Dirac delta function, denoted by δ, which is a special type of function that is defined as having an infinite value at one point, and zero value everywhere else. It is commonly used in mathematical models to represent a point or impulse in a system.

2. What does the Delta Function Property state?

The Delta Function Property states that if a function f(x) is multiplied by a constant value a, the resulting function f(ax) will have a Dirac delta function with amplitude of 1/|a| at x = 0. In other words, the delta function scales by a factor of 1/|a| when the argument of the function is divided by a.

3. How is the Delta Function Property proved?

The Delta Function Property can be proved using integration techniques and the definition of the Dirac delta function. By substituting the function f(ax) into the integral definition of the delta function, and then using a change of variables, the property can be derived.

4. What are the applications of the Delta Function Property?

The Delta Function Property is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid mechanics. It allows for the representation of point sources or impulsive forces in mathematical models, making them more accurate and realistic.

5. Are there any limitations to the Delta Function Property?

Yes, the Delta Function Property is limited to continuous functions and cannot be applied to discontinuous functions. It also only holds true for the argument of the function being multiplied or divided by a constant, and not for any other operations. Additionally, the property only applies to the Dirac delta function and not to other types of delta functions.