1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta potential: Transmission coefficient

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a double delta potential given by [itex]V(x) = c_+ \delta (x + \frac{L}{2}) + c_- \delta (x - \frac{L}{2})[/itex]. The coherence between the amplitude A of an incoming wave from the left and the amplitude F of the outgoing wave to the right is given by:

[itex]F = A \cdot \frac{1}{(1 - i\beta_+)(1 - i\beta_-) + \beta_+ \beta_- e^{2ikL}}[/itex]

With [itex]\beta_{\pm} = \frac{m c_{\pm}}{\hbar^2 k}[/itex] and [itex]k = \frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/itex].

1) Calculate the transmission coefficient T if [itex]c_+ = c_- = c[/itex] and the coefficient T' for [itex]c_+ = -c_- = c[/itex]. Simplify the expressions to show that T and T' are real.

2) Use the coherence equation above to calculate the transmission coefficient T and reflection coefficient R for a single delta potential.

3. The attempt at a solution

1) I suppose we now have [itex]\beta_+ = \beta_- = \beta[/itex], so:

[itex]T = |\frac{F}{A}|^2 = \left(\frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)^2 + \beta^2 e^{2ikL}}\right)^2 = \frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)^4 + 2(1 - i \beta)^2 \beta^2 + \beta^2} [/itex]

[itex]T' = |\frac{F}{A}|^2 = \left(\frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)(1 + i \beta) - \beta^2 e^{2ikL}}\right)^2 = \left(\frac{1}{1 + \beta^2 + \beta^2}\right)^2 [/itex]

Before I go further, is this correct?

2) Since we are dealing with a single delta potential, could I just set for instance [itex]\beta_- = 0[/itex]? Then I end up with:

[itex]T = |\frac{F}{A}|^2 = \frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)^2}[/itex]

I know it should be [itex]T = \frac{1}{1 + \beta^2}[/itex], so I guess it's not the right approach, but I can't think of anything else.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?