1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta squared

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    I consider the Dirac delta.

In physics the delta squared has an infinite norm : $$\int\delta (x)^2=\infty $$

But if i look at delta being a functional i could write : $$\delta [f]=f (0) $$ hence $$\delta^2 [f]=\delta [\delta [f]]=\delta [\underbrace {f (0)}_{constant function}]=f (0)$$

Thus in this view $$\delta^2=\delta $$ ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    Dirac delta is defined by the integral
    ##\int \delta(c) g(x) dx = g(c)##
    If you plug in ##g(x) = \delta(x)## then you get
    ##\int \delta(c) \delta(x) dx = \delta(c)## which isn't finite. The integral fails.

You can think of the integral as a functional, but it doesn't make sense to think of delta as a functional.

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Dirac delta is indeed a linear functional. Specifically it is the linear functional such that ##f \mapsto f(0)##. Schwartz distributions are our most developed theory of generalized functions, and there all Schwartz distributions are linear functionals.

Now to OP. If you want ##\delta^2 = \delta \cdot \delta## to exist as a Schwartz distribution as well, then it turns out that ##\delta^2 = c\delta## for some constant ##c##, but not for the reason you posted. The notation ##\delta^2## is reserved for the product of Dirac with itself, not the composition of Dirac with itself. As to what ##c## is, there's a lot of disagreement. If the product defined is a "normal product" then ##c=0##. Some mathematicians have argued that non-zero c has physical meaning. Some argue ##c = \infty##. Others define it to be ##c = \delta(0)## and not define what that means (as long as it cancels in the end they are happy with it). So yeah a lot of disagreement.

That being said, if you aren't working with Schwartz distributions, such as working in Colombeu algebra, then it is the operator ##f(x) \mapsto f(-x)^2## (technically the equivalence class of such operators), which in turn corresponds to the non-linear functional ##f \mapsto f(0)^2##

Edit: One last thing. There are people who write ##\delta^2## for ##\delta(x)\delta(y)##, i.e. the two dimensional Dirac delta. But then you wouldn't have ##\int \delta^2 = \infty## at the top of your post, so I'm ignoring that situation.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook