1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta T Analysis

Tags:
  1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See Thumbnail.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am absolutely floored as how to do this problem.

Attached Files:

• wat.png
      wat.png
      File size:
      8.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What was the initial temperature? What was the final temperature?

4. Apr 17, 2015 #3
    The initial temperature is 24 degrees Celsius and the final temperature is 29 degrees Celsius. However, 5 degrees Celsius as a delta T is not an option given :/

5. Apr 17, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ah, I see where your problems steams from.

Final temperature is not the one measured after the system had time to cool down (actually if you wait long enough final temperature will be the same as the starting one). Final temperature is the one observed after the reaction ended (so it is the maximum temperature observed).

Sometimes things are slightly more complicated, as the systems cools down even before it completely heats up, then, to get the maximum temperature, you may have to extrapolate. But it doesn't look like it is the case here.

1.gif

6. Apr 17, 2015 #5
    Yes, this is exactly the explanation I found elsewhere! Thank you so much, Borek!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted