Finding Current in a Delta Transformation Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit with a picture provided. The problem is to find the current over a 1 ohm resistor. The person attempted to solve it by finding the equivalent resistance and total current, but had doubts about finding the current in each branch of a delta-form. Another person suggests using Kirchoff's Current Law equations as a simpler approach. The final answer found was I = 0.1904 A.
danilo_rj

Homework Statement

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu67/danilorj/circuito.jpg [Broken]
Above is the picture of the circuit I'm trying to solve. The problem asks to find the current over the resistor of 1 ohm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I found the equivalent resistence of the circuit and thus the total current. But to do this, I transformed the T-form of the circuit between the resistors 70,1 and 20 ohms in a delta-transformation. My doubt is when I know the current in each branch of the delta-form how am I suppose to find the current in each branch of the t-form? What is the relation of current between them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
danilo_rj said:

Homework Statement

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu67/danilorj/circuito.jpg [Broken]
Above is the picture of the circuit I'm trying to solve. The problem asks to find the current over the resistor of 1 ohm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I found the equivalent resistence of the circuit and thus the total current. But to do this, I transformed the T-form of the circuit between the resistors 70,1 and 20 ohms in a delta-transformation. My doubt is when I know the current in each branch of the delta-form how am I suppose to find the current in each branch of the t-form? What is the relation of current between them?

Welcome to the PF, danilo. Wouldn't it be easier to just solve the circuit using Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) equations? That would be my first approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice idea, I haven't thought that. Well, I found the current over the resistor of 1 ohm as being I = 0.1904 A. I would appreciate If you could check this answer for me.

What is a Delta transformation circuit?

A Delta transformation circuit, also known as a pi-to-delta or delta-to-pi circuit, is a mathematical technique used to convert a circuit from one form to another, while maintaining the same input-output behavior. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to simplify complex networks and make them easier to analyze.

How does a Delta transformation circuit work?

The Delta transformation circuit works by replacing the resistors in a given circuit with equivalent combinations of resistors that have the same input-output behavior. This is achieved by using a series of transformations, such as series-parallel and parallel-series conversions, until the circuit can be simplified into a Delta or Pi network.

What are the advantages of using a Delta transformation circuit?

One advantage of using a Delta transformation circuit is that it simplifies complex networks, making them easier to analyze and understand. It also helps to reduce the number of calculations required, which can save time and resources. Additionally, Delta transformation circuits can be useful for designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications.

Are there any limitations to using a Delta transformation circuit?

Like any mathematical technique, Delta transformation circuits have their limitations. They can only be applied to linear circuits, which means that they cannot be used for circuits with non-linear components such as diodes or transistors. Additionally, the accuracy of the transformation may be affected by the tolerance of the resistors used in the circuit.

How is a Delta transformation circuit different from other circuit analysis techniques?

Delta transformation circuits are different from other circuit analysis techniques, such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis, because they do not require the use of Kirchhoff's laws. Instead, they rely on mathematical transformations to simplify the circuit. They are also useful for analyzing circuits with multiple voltage and current sources, which can be challenging to solve using other techniques.