1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta with discriminate

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With the discriminate, why is delta sometimes used?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\Delta[/itex] = b2 - 4ac

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get the logic behind what the discriminate is and how and why it works, but I don't understand why delta is used in the equation. What change is occuring?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nothing is changing. They need to have some symbol for the discriminant, and they have decided to use Delta (Greek D for Discriminant). I have never seen that notation, but it does make some sense.

RGV

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I'd forgotten that delta is sometimes used, but thanks for the reminder. :smile:

It's probably as good a choice as any, because the discriminant relates directly to the step either side of the peak in the parabola where it crosses the axis.

i.e., x = -b +/- sqrt(b2 -4ac) ....etc

So, the offset up (and down) about -b/(2a) is determined by delta. To be exact, delta/(2a)

If the coefficient of x is unity, then delta actually is the distance between the roots. If delta = 0 then the roots coincide; there is no distance between them.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  5. Aug 19, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

No change - it is just shorter - sort of like a name for the dicriminant.

6. Aug 19, 2011 #5

Mark44

I believe that delta is used only because the word discriminant starts with "d", the same sound as the letter delta represents.

7. Aug 20, 2011 #6
    Hey, could you elaborate on the "offset up and down" portion? I've never seen that terminology used with parabola's before.

8. Aug 21, 2011 #7

NascentOxygen

Well, this gives me the opportunity to make a correction to what I wrote. (Sharp eyes would have noted that I omitted the essential string sqrt in one or two places.)
    Harking back to your first encounter with graphing the parabola, you found that the parabola's minimum (or maximum) occurs where x=-b/(2a)
    and the parabola crosses the x-axis at two points offset from this by an amount +/- sqrt(b2 - 4ac)/(2a)

So you can see this offset is directly related to delta. (To the square root of delta, to be more precise.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook