1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Demonstrate if this equation is dimensionally homogenous or now. Show your working

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    The equation for the fall velocity (terminal velocity) of a particle of a material in a viscous medium has been derived from theory as:

Vt = gd^2(Pp - Pm) / 18 u

Where: Vt is the terminal velocity in m/s; g is the acceleration due to gravity; d is particle diameter in m; Pp and Pm are the densities of the particle and the medium (respectively) in kg/m^3; u is the viscocity of the medium in kg/m/s (kg.m^-1.s^-1)

Demonstrate if this equation is dimensionally homogeneous or not. Show your working.

Could someone show me how you work this out with the cancelling of units.

My final answer I'm getting - m/s = m/s x m

I don't think I'm correct.

Regards
    Jason

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2
    Re: Demonstrate if this equation is dimensionally homogenous or now. Show your workin

If you show all your steps in the working one can point out where the mistake is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook