1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Demonstration, measuring time with a stick

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    Tueseday, I go to Auburn to interview for an open position in Alabama Science in Motion.

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/science_math/cosam/announcements/

Basically, I would be traveling around high schools, moving equipment, doing demonstrations, and developing new labs.

I need to come up with a <30 minute presentation as if to a high school audience. My idea is...

Measuring reaction time with a meter stick. The equation for time is easy to derive.
    y=yo + vt + .5gt^2
    t = Sqrt(2y/g)

After taking data, we could discuss how many data points are needed, the difference between accuracy and precision, standard deviation, any number of things.

Also, how else could you use a stick to measure time?

If it's sunny, it could be a sundial,
    use it as a pendulum, make your own time unit of "stick swings"

ok, my questions are...

Is this a good idea? So far, I don't have 30 minutes yet, what could I fill with.
    This activity would obviously be fun and engaging, but is there enough physics in it?
    Any other ideas?
    If I do stick on this track, How else could you measure time with a meter stick?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted