Demonstration of the Brans-Dicke's Lagrangian

In summary: L}_\mathcal{M} - \omega_{BD}\left(\frac{\varphi_{,i}\varphi^{,i}}{\varphi}\right)\end{aligned}In summary, the Lagrangian in the Brans-Dicke model is given by ## \varphi R + \frac{16 \pi}{c^4 \varphi} \mathcal{L}_\mathcal{M} - \omega_{BD}\left(\frac{\varphi_{,i}\varphi^{,i}}{\varphi}\right) ##, where ## \varphi ## is the scalar field, ## R ## is the Ricci
fab13
TL;DR Summary
I try to find the formula of the Brans-Dicke's Lagrangian
Helo,

The Lagrangian in general relativity is written in the following form:

\begin {aligned}
\mathcal {L} & = \frac {1} {2} g ^ {\mu \nu} \nabla \mu \phi \nabla \nu \phi-V (\phi) \\
& = R + \dfrac {16 \pi G} {c ^ {4}} \mathcal {L} _ {\mathcal {M}}
\end {aligned}

with ## g ^ {\mu \nu}: ## the metric
## \phi: ## non-gravitational scalar field
## R ##: Ricci scalar
## \mathcal {L} _ {\mathcal {M}}: ## Lagrangian of the density of matter
By replacing the gravitational constant ## G ## by its new definition, ## \dfrac{1}{\varphi (t)}, ## How to prove that the Lagrangian within the framework of Brans-Dicke's model becomes:

##
\mathcal {L} = \varphi R + \dfrac {16 \pi} {c ^ {4}} \mathcal {L} _ {\mathcal {M}} - \omega_ {BD} \left (\dfrac {\varphi_ {, i} \varphi ^ {, i}} {\varphi} \right)
##

Regards

Space news on Phys.org
,Hello,

Thank you for your post. The Brans-Dicke model is an alternative theory of gravity that extends general relativity by introducing a scalar field, ## \phi ##, in addition to the metric tensor ## g ^ {\mu \nu} ##. The field ## \phi ## is responsible for the dynamics of gravity, and its behavior is determined by the Brans-Dicke parameter ## \omega_{BD} ##.

To prove that the Lagrangian in the Brans-Dicke model takes the form you have mentioned, we need to start with the original Lagrangian in general relativity and then make the necessary substitutions. Let's begin by writing the Lagrangian in its original form:

\begin{aligned}
\mathcal{L} &= \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\nabla_\mu\phi\nabla_\nu\phi - V(\phi) \\
&= R + \frac{16 \pi G}{c^4} \mathcal{L}_\mathcal{M}
\end{aligned}

Now, we can replace the gravitational constant ## G ## with its new definition, ## \frac{1}{\varphi(t)} ##. This substitution is equivalent to replacing the Ricci scalar ## R ## with ## \varphi R ##, since ## \varphi ## is a function of time only and does not depend on the spacetime coordinates. This gives us:

\begin{aligned}
\mathcal{L} &= \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\nabla_\mu\phi\nabla_\nu\phi - V(\phi) \\
&= \varphi R + \frac{16 \pi}{c^4 \varphi} \mathcal{L}_\mathcal{M}
\end{aligned}

Next, we need to include the Brans-Dicke term, which is given by ## -\omega_{BD}\left(\frac{\varphi_{,i}\varphi^{,i}}{\varphi}\right) ##. This term is added to the Lagrangian to account for the dynamics of the scalar field. Including this term gives us the final form of the Lagrangian in the Brans-Dicke model:

\begin{aligned}
\mathcal{L} &= \varphi R + \frac{16 \pi}{

What is Brans-Dicke's Lagrangian?

Brans-Dicke's Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of the Brans-Dicke theory, a scalar-tensor theory of gravity proposed by Carl H. Brans and Robert H. Dicke in 1961. It is a modification of Einstein's general theory of relativity that includes a scalar field in addition to the usual tensor fields.

How does the Brans-Dicke theory differ from general relativity?

The Brans-Dicke theory differs from general relativity in that it includes a scalar field, which is a fundamental quantity that describes the strength of a gravitational force. In general relativity, gravity is described solely by the curvature of spacetime, while in the Brans-Dicke theory, the scalar field also plays a role in determining the strength of gravity.

What is the significance of the Brans-Dicke theory?

The Brans-Dicke theory is significant because it provides an alternative explanation for gravity that is consistent with observations and experiments. It also allows for the possibility of a changing gravitational constant, which could explain certain cosmological phenomena such as the accelerated expansion of the universe.

How is the Brans-Dicke's Lagrangian demonstrated?

The Brans-Dicke's Lagrangian is demonstrated by using mathematical equations to show how the scalar field and tensor fields interact to produce the equations of motion for the theory. This includes the equations for the gravitational field and the scalar field, as well as the equations that describe the behavior of matter in the presence of these fields.

What are the implications of the Brans-Dicke theory for our understanding of gravity?

The Brans-Dicke theory has significant implications for our understanding of gravity. It suggests that gravity is not solely determined by the curvature of spacetime, but also by the strength of the scalar field. This could lead to a better understanding of the nature of gravity and potentially open up new avenues for research in cosmology and fundamental physics.