Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Demonstration of time dilation

1. Nov 6, 2017 #21
    @Ibix : The points A and B are the extremities of a vetical line into (R'), i.e into the moving reference frame. You can have an illustration on the following figure :

[​IMG]

In my experiment, I only consider the first path, not the round trip, i.e I consider the path before the top reflection of mirror.

By taking my calculation, I am near to get the common relation of time dilation :

##L^{2}=c^{2}\Delta t^{2}-v^{2}\Delta t^{2}##

but someting is wrong; currently I get from previous reply post :

##L^{2}= c^{2}\Delta t_{reception}^{2} - \dfrac{2 c^{2} \Delta t_{reception}\,d}{v}+\dfrac{c^{2}d^{2}}{v^{2}}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\textbf{eq(1)}##

I think I have to do, between my relation and the common one, the assimilation :

##\Delta t = \Delta t_{reception}##

into : ##L^{2}=c^{2}\Delta t_{reception}^{2}-v^{2}\Delta t_{reception}^{2}##

But I am not sure about this assimilation : it may be actually ##\Delta t =\Delta t_{reconstruction}## ?

I hope you will better understand my issue

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Nov 7, 2017 #22

Ibix

Science Advisor

All you need to do is eliminate L between ##\Delta t'=L/c## (from the left hand diagram) and ##L^2+v^2\Delta t^2=c^2\Delta t^2## (from the right hand diagram), surely? Or am I misunderstanding your problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted