Demonstration that the electric potential is continuous over a surface

In summary, to demonstrate the continuity of electric potential over a surface with charge density ##\sigma##, we can use the definition of continuity and show that the potential at a point on the surface is equal to the limit of the potential as we approach that point from any direction. Using the given equation, we can see that the electric potential depends on the charge density at all points on the surface, and as we approach a point, the distance between that point and the charge density at each point on the surface decreases, but the charge density remains constant, resulting in a finite integral and a continuous electric potential.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm asked to demonstrate that the electric potential is continuous over a surface with a charge density ##\sigma##.

Homework Equations

##\Phi (\vec x )= \int _ S \frac{\sigma (\vec x' )}{|\vec x - \vec x '|}da'##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what I must show mathematically. Is it that ##\Phi (\vec x )= \int _ S \frac{\sigma (\vec x' )}{|\vec x - \vec x '|}da'## remains integrable when x'=x? Or is it that (I believe it is), when I take the limit of when x tends to x', Phi must equate ##\Phi (\vec x')##? Either way I haven't figured out how to do it.
Any tip is welcome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

To demonstrate that the electric potential is continuous over a surface with a charge density ##\sigma##, you can use the definition of continuity. In this case, we want to show that the electric potential at a point on the surface, say ##\vec x##, is equal to the limit of the electric potential as we approach that point from any direction. In other words, as we move closer and closer to ##\vec x##, the electric potential should not change abruptly.

Using the equation you provided, ##\Phi (\vec x )= \int _ S \frac{\sigma (\vec x' )}{|\vec x - \vec x '|}da'##, we can see that the electric potential at ##\vec x## depends on the charge density at all points on the surface ##S##. As we approach ##\vec x##, the distance between the point of interest and the charge density at each point on the surface will decrease, but the charge density itself will remain constant. This means that the integral will remain finite and the electric potential will not change abruptly. Therefore, the electric potential is continuous over the surface with charge density ##\sigma##.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your demonstration!

1. What is the concept of electric potential?

The electric potential at a point in space is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy that a unit charge would have if placed at that point. It is a scalar quantity that is used to describe the electric field at a point.

2. Why is continuity of electric potential important?

The continuity of electric potential is important because it ensures that the electric field is well-behaved and there are no abrupt changes or discontinuities in the electric field. This is necessary for the proper functioning of electrical systems and devices.

3. How is the continuity of electric potential demonstrated over a surface?

The continuity of electric potential over a surface can be demonstrated by using Gauss's law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the electric charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface. By using this law, one can show that the electric potential is continuous over a surface.

4. What factors affect the continuity of electric potential?

The continuity of electric potential can be affected by the presence of charges, conductors, and insulators in the surrounding space. The distribution of these factors can cause changes in the electric field and therefore affect the continuity of electric potential over a surface.

5. How is the continuity of electric potential related to the equipotential principle?

The continuity of electric potential is closely related to the equipotential principle, which states that all points on an equipotential surface have the same electric potential. This means that the electric potential is continuous over a surface, as any abrupt changes in potential would result in a non-uniform electric field and violate the equipotential principle.