1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Demonstration with completes sets

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. We have [itex]A\subseteq \mathcal{U}[/itex]. For [itex]i_1, i_2 \in \{0,1\}[/itex]and [itex]A^0 := A^c, A^1 := A[/itex].
    A is a complete set if [itex]A\cap A_1 ^{i1} \cap A_2^{i2} \neq \emptyset[/itex] then [itex]A_1 ^{i1} \cap A_2^{i2} \subseteq A[/itex]

Demonstrate that [itex]A_1, A_2[/itex] are complete sets too. And if A is a complete set then [itex]A^c[/itex] is a complete set too.

2. The first part I can't get it and don't know where to begin. The second part I tried to do:
    [itex]A \cap \bigcap X \neq \emptyset \rightarrow A^c \cap (\bigcap X)^c \neq \emptyset[/itex] with [itex]\bigcap X = A_1^{i1} \cap A_2^{i2}[/itex] then [itex]A^c \subseteq (\bigcap X)^c \rightarrow A^c \subseteq (A_1^{i1})^c \cup (A_2^{i2})^c[/itex]. But when I get there I'm not sure where to go next.

Any help would be very apreciated! Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?