What is the relationship between range and nullspace for projections?

• Thread starter Felipe_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projections
In summary: No, R(I - E) is the range of the projection I - E (if E is a projection, I - E is also one). In euclidian spaces, you may interpret this as the subspace orthogonal to P, but the results you are trying to prove are more general than that; they are valid for linear spaces whithout a notion of orthogonality (usually given by an inner product).
Felipe_
Hi!
Studying the introductory chapters of a Operator Theory book, I have found that the author seem to find a lot of demonstrations "easy" and not worthy of demonstrations. Yet, I don't have such ease as he has... For instance, one that has bugged me (on several books) is the proof that:
range(I-E)=nullspace(E)
nullspace(I-E)=range(E)
where E is a projection and I is the identity matrix.
It always follows stating that its is simple, then, to tell the set of all surjective projections of a linear transformation L.

How are they related? I can't seem to find any way to prove/answer the above and its been a couple of days now.

Can anyone shed some light in this? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Felipe

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you may acquire some intuiton about it by drawing a picture of an orthogonal projection in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex].

Second, consider the first equality range(I - E) = ker(E). Suppose y belongs to range(I - E): then you may write it, in terms of I - E, how? What must Ey be equal to? On the other hand, if Ey = 0, what is (E - I)y?

Last edited:
JSuarez said:
First, you may acquire some intuiton about it by drawing a picture of an orthogonal projection in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex].

Second, consider the first equality range(I - E) = ker(E). Suppose y belongs to range(I - E): then you may write it, in terms of I - E, how? What must Ey be equal to? On the other hand, if Ey = 0, what is (E - I)y?

Well... maybe the thing is that I don't fully understand what I-E is, as a matter of fact.
One of the things I remember is that ker(E)={0}, the null vector. Or is it just for linear spaces?

Well... maybe the thing is that I don't fully understand what I-E is, as a matter of fact.

Consider a 2D plane P in [itex]\matbb{R}^3[/itex] and a vector v, not in P; then, if E is the orthogonal projection on P, then (I - E)v is the orthogonal projection on normal to the plane P.

One of the things I remember is that ker(E)={0}

No, this is wrong. The kernel of a linear transformation [itex]T:V\rightarrow W[/itex] is the set:

[tex]ker\left(T\right)=\left\{v\in V:Tv=0\right\}[/tex]

Where the 0 is the null vector of W.

Here's a hint:

[tex]y \in R \left(I - E\right) \Leftrightarrow \exists x \in V:y=\left(I - E\right)x[/tex]

Now remember that E is a projection, so E2=E.

JSuarez said:
No, this is wrong. The kernel of a linear transformation [itex]T:V\rightarrow W[/itex] is the set:

[tex]ker\left(T\right)=\left\{v\in V:Tv=0\right\}[/tex]

Where the 0 is the null vector of W.

Here's a hint:

[tex]y \in R \left(I - E\right) \Leftrightarrow \exists x \in V:y=\left(I - E\right)x[/tex]

Now remember that E is a projection, so E2=E.

Oh yeah, I remember E2=E... used it plenty today!

So, let me try to get things straight: [tex]R(I - E)[/tex] is the collectiong of all projections normal to the plane P (like the one in the example you gave)?

So, let me try to get things straight: R(I - E) is the collectiong of all projections normal to the plane P (like the one in the example you gave)?

No, R(I - E) is the range of the projection I - E (if E is a projection, I - E is also one). In euclidian spaces, you may interpret this as the subspace orthogonal to P, but the results you are trying to prove are more general than that; they are valid for linear spaces whithout a notion of orthogonality (usually given by an inner product).

1. What is a projection in the context of science?

A projection in science refers to the process of representing a three-dimensional object or data onto a two-dimensional surface. This is commonly done to simplify complex data and make it easier to interpret and analyze.

2. What are the different types of projections used in science?

There are several types of projections used in science, including orthographic projections, stereographic projections, and stereographic projections. Each type has its own unique method of representing three-dimensional data onto a two-dimensional surface, and is used for different purposes depending on the specific research or experiment being conducted.

3. Why are projections important in scientific research?

Projections are important in scientific research because they allow scientists to visualize and analyze complex data in a more manageable form. They can also reveal patterns and relationships that may not be immediately apparent when looking at three-dimensional data.

4. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of projections?

Scientists ensure the accuracy of projections by using precise mathematical calculations and techniques. They also take into account factors such as scale, distortion, and orientation to accurately represent the data onto a two-dimensional surface.

5. Can projections be used in all fields of science?

Yes, projections can be used in all fields of science, from biology and chemistry to physics and astronomy. They are a useful tool for representing and analyzing data in a visually appealing and comprehensible manner.