Demultiplexer 8 to 1: Solve Truth Table

• Thread starter ckaiser813
  • Start date
In summary, a demultiplexer has one input and multiple outputs, while a multiplexer has multiple inputs and one output. To create a truth table for a demultiplexer, you need to include all inputs and outputs, including the selected input and the corresponding output. The non-selected outputs can be defined as either 0 or 1 by default.
ckaiser813
I understand a demultiplexer has only one input and many outputs and a multiplexer only has one output and many outputs, I figured out my truth table for a 8 to 1 multiplexer which is

S2 S1 S0 OUT
0 0 0 D0
0 0 1 D1
0 1 0 D2
0 1 1 D3
1 0 0 D4
1 0 1 D5
1 1 0 D6
1 1 1 D7

to figure out my truth table for my demultiplexer i get quite confused on the proper way to go about it

Physics news on Phys.org
ckaiser813 said:
I understand a demultiplexer has only one input and many outputs and a multiplexer only has one output and many outputs, I figured out my truth table for a 8 to 1 multiplexer which is

S2 S1 S0 OUT
0 0 0 D0
0 0 1 D1
0 1 0 D2
0 1 1 D3
1 0 0 D4
1 0 1 D5
1 1 0 D6
1 1 1 D7

to figure out my truth table for my demultiplexer i get quite confused on the proper way to go about it

Seems like you are missing something in your truth table above, and that is part of what is confusing you about the demux circuit.

You show the 3 control inputs, but you should also show the 8 inputs and one output. When an input is selected byt the 3 control inputs, the other inputs are don' cares (X). The output value is the value of the selected input, i.e., 0-->0 and 1-->1.

So for your demux table, you show the 3 control inputs, and one input, then show the values of the 8 outputs. It's a 16 row table, I believe. You will also need to define whether the non-selected outputs are 0 or 1 by default.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach solving the truth table for a demultiplexer. First, it is important to understand the function of a demultiplexer. As you mentioned, a demultiplexer has one input and multiple outputs. Its purpose is to take a single input and direct it to one of its many outputs based on the select inputs.

In the case of an 8 to 1 demultiplexer, we have 8 outputs and 3 select inputs (S2, S1, S0). This means that we need to consider all possible combinations of the select inputs (000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111) and determine which output each combination will direct the input to.

To make this process easier, you can use a truth table template with columns for each output (D0-D7) and rows for each combination of select inputs. Then, you can fill in the corresponding output for each combination based on the function of the demultiplexer. For example, for the combination S2=0, S1=0, S0=0, the input should be directed to output D0.

Once you have filled in all the outputs for each combination of select inputs, you will have your complete truth table for the demultiplexer. I hope this helps in solving your truth table and understanding the function of a demultiplexer.

1. What is a demultiplexer 8 to 1?

A demultiplexer 8 to 1 is a digital circuit that takes in one input and distributes it to one of eight output lines based on the select lines. It is the opposite of a multiplexer, which takes multiple inputs and selects one output line.

2. How does a demultiplexer 8 to 1 work?

A demultiplexer 8 to 1 works by using select lines to determine which output line the input signal will be directed to. The select lines are binary and correspond to the output lines in a specific order. The input signal is then sent to the corresponding output line based on the binary value of the select lines.

3. What is a truth table for a demultiplexer 8 to 1?

A truth table for a demultiplexer 8 to 1 shows all possible input combinations and the corresponding output line that the input signal will be directed to. It also includes the select lines and their binary values for each input combination.

4. How do I solve a truth table for a demultiplexer 8 to 1?

To solve a truth table for a demultiplexer 8 to 1, you first need to determine the select lines and their corresponding binary values. Then, you can fill in the output lines based on the input signal and the binary value of the select lines. The output lines will have a 1 in the corresponding output line and 0s in all other output lines.

5. What are the uses of a demultiplexer 8 to 1 in science?

A demultiplexer 8 to 1 has various uses in science, including in digital circuits, communication systems, and microprocessors. It is also commonly used in data transmission to separate multiple signals on a single communication line. Additionally, demultiplexers are used in experiments and research to analyze and manipulate data from multiple sources.