In summary, this article discusses the basics of surface integration, explaining how to parameterize surfaces and set up the corresponding integrals. The focus is on the process of parameterization, not on techniques for evaluating the integrals. Vector functions giving space curves are introduced, and readers will be familiar with the vector function $$\vec R(t)= \langle x(t),y(t) \rangle = \langle 2\cos t, 2\sin t\rangle,~0\le t \le 2\pi$$ which maps the ##t## interval ##I=[0,2\pi]## onto a circle of radius ##2## in the ##x,y## plane. I will call
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Introduction
This article will attempt to take the mystery out of setting up surface integrals. It will explain the basic ideas underlying surface integration and show you how to parameterize surfaces to set up the corresponding integrals efficiently. You will need to have had or be taking ##3D## calculus covering multiple integrals to get the most out of this presentation. The focus is on how to set up the integrals but not so much on techniques of evaluating them.
Vector functions giving space curves
Readers will be familiar with the vector function $$\vec R(t)= \langle x(t),y(t) \rangle = \langle 2\cos t, 2\sin t\rangle,~0\le t \le 2\pi$$which maps the ##t## interval ##I=[0,2\pi]## onto a circle of radius ##2## in the ##x,y## plane. Here, the value of the single independent variable ##t## determines the location of a point on the circle. I will call the interval ##I## the “parameter space”.
Similarly, a vector function of the form$$\vec R(t) = \langle x(t),y(t),z(t)\rangle,~a...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes JD_PM, fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Some very nice examples, but I am missing a discussion on the directed surface element ##d\vec S = \vec n \, dS##, where ##\vec n## is a unit normal. This is very important for flux integrals in general and for the divergence theorem in particular:
$$
\int_\Omega (\nabla\cdot \vec v) dV = \oint_{\partial\Omega} \vec v \cdot d\vec S.
$$
The discussion would also fit right in before ##dS = |\vec R_u \times \vec R_v|du\, dv##. Since the normal is orthogonal to both ##\vec R_u## and ##\vec R_v##, the directed surface element is just ##d\vec S = (\vec R_u \times \vec R_v) du\, dv## without the absolute value around the cross product. At least to me this feels like a more natural quantity than ##dS## and it is how I introduce the surface element when I teach vector analysis.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Orodruin said:
Some very nice examples, but I am missing a discussion on the directed surface element ##d\vec S = \vec n \, dS##, where ##\vec n## is a unit normal. This is very important for flux integrals in general and for the divergence theorem in particular:
$$
\int_\Omega (\nabla\cdot \vec v) dV = \oint_{\partial\Omega} \vec v \cdot d\vec S.
$$
The discussion would also fit right in before ##dS = |\vec R_u \times \vec R_v|du\, dv##. Since the normal is orthogonal to both ##\vec R_u## and ##\vec R_v##, the directed surface element is just ##d\vec S = (\vec R_u \times \vec R_v) du\, dv## without the absolute value around the cross product. At least to me this feels like a more natural quantity than ##dS## and it is how I introduce the surface element when I teach vector analysis.
Hi Orodruin. I debated with myself about that and decided to leave the focus on the parameterization of surfaces. When I taught the course I spent the first lecture on parameterization, and on another day discussed flux integrals as an application. I do agree that the formula ##\hat ndS = \pm \vec R_u \times \vec R_v~dudv## is important and useful. Maybe I will eventually do a follow-up about that.

Last edited:
I have wished we had a definition of a "partial differential" (and introduce the idea to my students) in the sense that given our position vector ##\mathbf{r}(u,v)## as a function of our two parameters, it is convenient to define the two "partial differentials" as the differential of the function treating all but one variable as constant:
[tex] d_u\mathbf{r} = \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial u} du, \quad d_u\mathbf{r} = \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial u} dv[/tex]
and thence:
[tex] d\mathbf{S} = d_u\mathbf{r}\times d_v\mathbf{r}[/tex]

That's my wish as far as notation goes. When I teach Calc III, I teach my students the triple product first, as a "determinant" function of three vectors in 3 dimensions and then explain the cross product as the mapping from two vectors to the vector which dots with the third to have the same effect. (Hinting strongly at dual vectors and Riesz rep theorem). It makes the geometric interpretation more natural since the "determinant" is the orientation signed volume of the parallelopiped formed by the three vectors. When we then get to surface integrals they've (most of em) internalized this definition and the vector surface area element makes more sense (or so I hope).

1. What is parameterization in surface integrals?

Parameterization in surface integrals is the process of representing a surface in three-dimensional space using a set of two parameters, typically denoted by u and v. These parameters are used to define a function that maps a two-dimensional domain onto the surface, allowing for the calculation of surface integrals.

2. Why is parameterization important in surface integrals?

Parameterization is important in surface integrals because it allows for the conversion of a two-dimensional surface into a one-dimensional function, making it easier to calculate surface integrals. It also helps to visualize and understand the properties of the surface in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the difference between a surface integral and a regular integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the flux of a vector field across a surface. Unlike a regular integral, which calculates the area under a curve, a surface integral calculates the flow of a vector field over a surface. It involves the use of a parameterization to define the surface and determine the limits of integration.

4. How do you calculate a surface integral using parameterization?

To calculate a surface integral using parameterization, you first need to define the surface using a set of two parameters, typically u and v. Then, you need to determine the limits of integration for the parameters. Next, you use the parameterization to convert the surface integral into a one-dimensional function, which can then be integrated using standard integration techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals and parameterization?

Surface integrals and parameterization have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate the flux of electric and magnetic fields, the flow of fluids, and the surface area of objects. In computer graphics, parameterization is used to map textures onto 3D surfaces, allowing for the creation of realistic and detailed images.