What happens when the denominator is 0 in a 3d line equation?

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Line
In summary: In fact, this representation is quite terrible and confusing.It may be, but the symmetric-form equations are a compact way to incorporate a point on the line and its direction.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I noticed that for a line parallel to z axis the equation is (x-a)/0 = (y-b)/0 = (z-c)/k = t.

Homework Equations

Any 3d geometry equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't quite grasp how to visualize this, also I can't see any constant like a 2d line parallel to x-axis would have y=constant. Another problem is how to take a general point on this line with parameter t, do we just say x=a, y=b or ignore the zero...intuitively it seems for a given point x and y have to be a and b to be able to have the line parallel to z. Any good ways to visualize all this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

I noticed that for a line parallel to z axis the equation is (x-a)/0 = (y-b)/0 = (z-c)/k = t.

Homework Equations

Any 3d geometry equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't quite grasp how to visualize this, also I can't see any constant like a 2d line parallel to x-axis would have y=constant. Another problem is how to take a general point on this line with parameter t, do we just say x=a, y=b or ignore the zero...intuitively it seems for a given point x and y have to be a and b to be able to have the line parallel to z. Any good ways to visualize all this?
First of all: a denominator ##0## is nonsense. Just nonsense. Your equation for a line in ##\mathbb{R}^3## is probably: ##\begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}m_x\\m_y\\m_z\end{bmatrix}\cdot t + \begin{bmatrix}x_0\\y_0\\z_0\end{bmatrix}## and there is nowhere a division by zero, although any constant there is allowed to be zero as e.g. ##m_x=m_y=0## for a line parallel to the ##z-##axis.

You can draw those lines and planes in a coordinate system like
upload_2018-11-8_3-24-3-png.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-8_3-24-3-png.png
    upload_2018-11-8_3-24-3-png.png
    397 bytes · Views: 655
It is common to describe a line in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] for which the tangent vector has no zero component by taking the components of the vector equation and setting the three resulting expressions for [itex]t[/itex] equal to each other: [tex]\frac{x - x_0}{m_x} = \frac{y - y_0}{m_y} = \frac{z - z_0}{m_z}.[/tex] But if any of [itex]m_x[/itex], [itex]m_y[/itex] and [itex]m_z[/itex] are zero then you can't do that, and you have to write separate equations. For example, if [itex]m_x = 0[/itex] you must write [tex]
x = x_0,\qquad\frac{y - y_0}{m_y} = \frac{z - z_0}{m_z}.[/tex] If [itex]m_x = m_y = 0[/itex] then you must write [tex]x = x_0,\qquad y = y_0.[/tex]If [itex]m_x = m_y = m_z = 0[/itex] then you have a single point, not a line.

Likes SammyS and PeroK
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

fresh_42 said:
First of all: a denominator 0 is nonsense. Just nonsense.
I beg to differ. The equations above are the symmetric-form equations of a line in ##\mathbb R^3##. The denominators here should be considered to be notation, but not taken literally to mean division by zero.

From a note in "Calculus and Analytic Geometry, Second Ed.," by Abraham Schwartz, p. 590 (italics added):
Remark 2
If one of the components of ##\vec v## is 0, then one of the members of the symmetric-form equations for a line L in ##\vec v's## direction will have 0 as its denominator. In such a case, the symmetric-form description of L is to be interpreted as a statement about proportional trios of numbers.
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
In your equations, a vector ##\vec v## in the direction of the line is <0, 0, k>; that is, it is a vector parallel to the z-axis.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I beg to differ. The equations above are the symmetric-form equations of a line in ##\mathbb R^3##. The denominators here should be considered to be notation, but not taken literally to mean division by zero.
Quite an unfortunate way to express it, there are better representations.

Likes SammyS
fresh_42 said:
That may be, but the symmetric-form equations are a compact way to incorporate a point on the line and its direction.

fresh_42 said:
I agree, except that the word "unfortunate" is much too mild.

What does it mean when the denominator is equal to 0 in a 3d line?

When the denominator is equal to 0 in a 3d line, it means that the line is parallel to the plane in which it is being drawn. This is because the denominator represents the slope of the line, and when it is equal to 0, the line has no slope and is therefore parallel to the plane.

Can a line have a 0 denominator in a 3d space?

Yes, a line can have a 0 denominator in a 3d space. This happens when the line is parallel to the plane in which it is being drawn, and therefore has no slope. This is a common occurrence in 3d space and is not considered an error or problem.

Why is a 0 denominator in a 3d line important?

A 0 denominator in a 3d line is important because it indicates that the line is parallel to the plane in which it is being drawn. This has important implications for the line's relationship to other lines and planes in the 3d space, and can help determine if the lines are intersecting or parallel.

How does a 0 denominator affect the equation of a 3d line?

A 0 denominator affects the equation of a 3d line by making the slope of the line undefined. This means that the equation of the line will not have a slope term, and instead will only have constants and variables. It also indicates that the line is parallel to the plane in which it is being drawn.

What is the significance of a 0 denominator in a 3d line for graphing purposes?

For graphing purposes, a 0 denominator in a 3d line indicates that the line will not have a slope and will be parallel to the plane. This means that the line will not intersect with the plane and will appear as a straight, parallel line on the graph. It also helps to identify the line's position in relation to other lines and planes in the 3d space.