Denoting a Restricted Function

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, to denote a restricted function, one can use the standard notation "f\vert_S" where f is the function and S is the subset of the domain to which it is restricted. This notation can be used to denote a new function f that is the restriction of F to the positive semi-axis, written as f(x)=F(x) for only x being a positive real number. This notation is concise and widely used in mathematics.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How does one denote a restricted function?

For example, suppose I have a function [itex]F : \mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex], how would I denote a new function f, such that f is the restriction of F to the positive semi-axis? Up until this point I would have just said that f is the restriction of F to the positive semi-axis, but it occurs to me that there should be a more concise way of writing it.

Physics news on Phys.org

f(x)=F(x) for only x positive real number, there's not a lot about it.

[tex]f\vert_S[/tex] is the standard notation for the restriction of f to a subset S of f's domain.

Tac-Tics said:
[tex]f\vert_S[/tex] is the standard notation for the restriction of f to a subset S of f's domain.
That's exactly was I was looking for Tac-Tics.

Thanks to you both.

1. What is a restricted function?

A restricted function is a mathematical function that has a limited domain, meaning that the input values or independent variables are restricted to a certain set of numbers. This can be represented by an inequality or a specific interval.

2. How is a restricted function different from a regular function?

A regular function has an infinite domain, meaning that the input values or independent variables can take on any value. In contrast, a restricted function has a limited or restricted domain, meaning that the input values are limited to a specific set of numbers.

3. What are some examples of restricted functions?

Examples of restricted functions include absolute value functions, step functions, and piecewise-defined functions. These functions have specific rules or conditions that restrict the domain, such as only allowing positive input values or certain intervals.

4. How do you denote a restricted function?

A restricted function can be denoted in various ways, depending on the specific function. One common way is to use interval notation, where the domain is represented by using brackets or parentheses to show the range of values that the input variable can take. Another way is to use mathematical notation, such as using an inequality to show the restrictions on the input values.

5. Why are restricted functions important in mathematics?

Restricted functions are important in mathematics because they allow us to model real-life situations more accurately. Many real-world problems have limitations or restrictions, and by using restricted functions, we can better represent these constraints and find solutions that are feasible and realistic.