1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dense non-sticky fluid

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    I'm writing an activity on fluid density. I'm looking for a safe, cheap fluid denser than water to explore density. The idea is to replace messy corn syrup or honey. It's a pain to clean syrup fluids out of the manometer. Were already doing simulated sea water. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Hmm, how safe? How dense? When I think dense fluids with low viscosity, I mostly think of organic halides. E.g. chloroform and tet are both readily available and both have densities of about 1.5 kg/l, but they're also somewhat hazardous.

Glycol is safer and cheaper, but less dense and stickier.

4. Jun 18, 2010 #3
    High school.student safe

5. Jun 18, 2010 #4
    Just as an example, I'm pretty sure a student tasted the corn syrup because it smelled "heavenly"

6. Jun 18, 2010 #5

alxm

Science Advisor

Well by that standard even glycol is out (since it happens to taste sweet)!
    Glycerine perhaps?

7. Jun 18, 2010 #6
    Here are some interesting candidates for high-density solutions you might want to think about.

It's not trivial to find common, cheap, easily obtainable high-density liquids which aren't at least somewhat toxic compounds.

Dichloromethane: 1.33 g/cm3, slightly toxic.
    Chloroform: 1.48 g/cm3, moderately toxic.
    Carbon tetrachloride: 1.6 g/cm3; quite toxic.
    Zinc iodide in aqueous solution: density ?, not significantly toxic.
    Caesium formate aqueous solution: 2.3 g/cm3, not significantly toxic.
    Lithium heteropolytungstate aqueous solution: 2.9 g/cm3; not significant toxic.
    Bromoform: 2.9 g/cm3, slightly toxic.
    Tetrabromoethane: 3 g/cm3, slightly toxic.
    Diiodomethane: 3.33 g/cm3, moderately toxic.
    Clerici solution: 4.25 g/cm3, very toxic.

8. Jun 18, 2010 #7
    Well, the overall activity is about sea water. I think I might model the current salinitu of the dead sea or the great salt lake. Besides, we already have a qualitative question about why one floats better in these bodies of water.

9. Jun 18, 2010 #8

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like an awesome drink, can I get one of those on the rocks with a little umbrella? :rofl:

10. Jun 18, 2010 #9
    A water based solution of metal salts might work well:
    copper sulfate
    ferrous sulfate
    calcium carbonate
    some of these will be poisonous but that may help keep the gene pool in better shape.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook