1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density 2

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ice floats in water, how many percent of it show above the water level?
    density of water=1000kg/m^3
    density of ice=920kg/m^3

2. Relevant equations
    I really don't know how to start and what I have to do with those densities...just give me a hint. solution would be 8%

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Consider a volume of ice. How much does it weigh?

Then how much water needs to be displaced to support that?

Subtract that from 1 to get the % above the water line.

4. Jul 3, 2009 #3
    So I take for example 100m^3 for the volume of ice. So the mass is (920kg/m^3)*100m^3=92000kg. Then I divide 92000kg by the density of water and I get 92m^3. And then??

5. Jul 3, 2009 #4
    No, no, that won't get you anywhere. Try making a free body diagram of a block of ice, mass m, suspended in water.
    What are the forces acting on it? What is the sum of these forces, and what does that say about the volume of ice submerged relative to its total volume? (The %)

6. Jul 3, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

So that means that only 92 m3 of water are needed to support 100 m3 of ice. What's the difference? Isn't that what's left over above the water line? What's the percentage since that's the form they want the answer in?

7. Jul 3, 2009 #6
    Ok, thanks, I got it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook