Calculating Molality and Mass of KBr for Freezing Point Depression

In summary: Hi, I'm doing the caculations again, see if they are right now,I'm getting molality as 0.376no. of moles =0.20116molar mass =119 g/molmass = 23.9 ghey, thanks for reminding me about the i value ... I tried it in the assignment questions and i got the right answer.Thanks a lot for the help.
pari786
Assume that the density of water is 1.00 g/ml . Calculate the quantity of KBr that would need to be added to lower the freezing point of 535 ml of water by 1.40 degree celsius:

What I'm trying to do is the following:

Step 1:

Tf = Kf . m

I took Tf = 1.4
Kf = 1.86
and found the molality as 0.75

Step 2:

then I used the molality equation which is

molality = moles solute/kg solvent

molality = 0.75
kg solvent = 0.535 kg
and got the no. of moles as 119 g/mol

Step 3

no. of moles = mass /molar mass and
got 47.6 g for mass

but the answer is still wrong ... I don't know where I'm making mistake. It's an online assignment so I don't know what the answer should be. But please guys help me and check if I'm doing everything right.

Physics news on Phys.org
pari786 said:
Assume that the density of water is 1.00 g/ml . Calculate the quantity of KBr that would need to be added to lower the freezing point of 535 ml of water by 1.40 degree celsius:

What I'm trying to do is the following:

Step 1:

Tf = Kf . m

I took Tf = 1.4
Kf = 1.86
and found the molality as 0.75

Step 2:

then I used the molality equation which is

molality = moles solute/kg solvent

molality = 0.75
kg solvent = 0.535 kg
and got the no. of moles as 119 g/mol

Step 3

no. of moles = mass /molar mass and
got 47.6 g for mass

but the answer is still wrong ... I don't know where I'm making mistake. It's an online assignment so I don't know what the answer should be. But please guys help me and check if I'm doing everything right.

what is the vanthoff factor for KBr?

gravenewworld said:
what is the vanthoff factor for KBr?

oh so you mean to say that I do have to consider vanthoff factor for KBr too in this problem?
I must have forgotten about that?

pari786 said:
oh so you mean to say that I do have to consider vanthoff factor for KBr too in this problem?
I must have forgotten about that?

vanthoff factor for KBr is 2 since we get two ions from one mole of KBr.
Is that right?

pari786 said:
vanthoff factor for KBr is 2 since we get two ions from one mole of KBr.
Is that right?

Hi, I'm doing the caculations again, see if they are right now,
I'm getting molality as 0.376
no. of moles =0.20116
molar mass =119 g/mol
mass = 23.9 g

hey, thanks for reminding me about the i value ... I tried it in the assignment questions and i got the right answer.
Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a certain volume. It is calculated by dividing an object's mass by its volume. The unit for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) for solids and liquids, and grams per liter (g/L) for gases.

2. How does density affect the freezing point of a substance?

The density of a substance is directly related to its freezing point. Generally, substances with a higher density will have a higher freezing point. This is because denser substances have stronger intermolecular forces, which require more energy to break and therefore have a higher freezing point.

3. Can density and freezing point be used to identify unknown substances?

Yes, density and freezing point can be used as identifying characteristics for substances. Each substance has a unique density and freezing point, so by measuring these values, scientists can determine the identity of an unknown substance.

4. What is the relationship between density and state of matter?

The state of matter of a substance is determined by its density. Solids have the highest density, followed by liquids, and then gases. This is because the particles in a solid are tightly packed together, while the particles in a gas are more spread out, resulting in a lower density.

5. How does pressure affect the density and freezing point of a substance?

Increasing pressure will typically increase the density of a substance, as the molecules are pushed closer together. However, the effect of pressure on freezing point can vary. In some cases, increasing pressure can lower the freezing point, while in others it can raise it. This is because pressure can affect the strength of intermolecular forces in a substance.