1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density and integrals

1. Feb 16, 2007 #1
    1. Find the mass of a rod length 10 cm with density d(x) = e^-x gm/cm at a distance of x cm from the left.
    2. Find the center of mass of a system containing three point masses of 5gm, 3gm, and 1 gm located respectively at x = -10, x = 1, and x =2.

for number two what I did is just this:

(5(-10) + 3(1) + 1(2)) / (-10+1+(-2)) and I got 45/7

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2007 #2
    Hint For the first: Imagine the rod to be made of tiny mass elements [itex]dm[/itex]. Each mass element is equal to [itex]\rho dx[/itex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the linear density within the differential [itex]dx[/itex]. If you sum up all such [itex]dm[/itex]'s you arrive at the mass of the rod.

2) How do you define, mathematically, the centre of mass of a system of particles?

4. Feb 16, 2007 #3
    so here's what I did for number one.

I take the integral of 0 to 10 of e^-x dx, is that all?

what's wrong with my number 2??

5. Feb 16, 2007 #4
    Yes, that's right

Again, I ask you, what's the definition of the centre of mass?

6. Feb 16, 2007 #5
    the center of mass as of my understanding is the point/position where there's a balance/equilibrium.

7. Feb 16, 2007 #6
    I was talking about the mathematical definition, which is: [tex]\vec{R}_{cm} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}m_i\vec{r}_i}{\sum_{i=1}^n m_i}[/tex]

If you look at your answer in the first post, you may notice that it is not dimensionally correct.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  8. Feb 16, 2007 #7
    Oh clumsy mistake, so it should be:

(5(-10) + 3(1) + 1(2)) / (5+3+1)) and results as -45/9 = -5 right??

I have one more question and this is kind of hard:

A cardboard figure has a region which is bounded on the left by the line x = a, on the right by the line x=b, above by f(x), and below by g(x). If the density d(x) gm/cm^2 varies only with x, find an expression for the total mass of the figure, in terms of f(x), g(x), and d(x)

9. Feb 16, 2007 #8
    The principle's the same as in post #2, except that, here you have an area instead of a line. Use double integrals.

10. Feb 17, 2007 #9

what do you mean here as double integral?? so I still use the same formula as what I did in number 2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?