1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density and intergrals

1. Jan 31, 2005 #1
    I've ran aground on my physics 4a homework.

Consider a solid disk of mass M=15.6kg and areal density =Dx3. Determine the value D if the radius of the disk is 0.25m.

I solved the problem before it: (a)Consider a two meterstick of mass M=8.2kg and linear density =Cx5. Determine the value C.

by taking the intergral of the linear density and setting it equal to the mass and plugging in 2 meters for the x and solving for C.

Changing the object to a disk from a meter stick somehow destroys the problem from me and I can't figure out what to do to get it to work. I've tried finding area pi(r)^2 using the radius that gave, and i've tried circumferance 2pi(r).

What I'm I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could it be that x in Dx3 stands for the radius of the disk? In this case, you can proceed exactly as with the stick; integrating the surface density from 0 to 0.25m (and 0 to 2pi) and then solve for D.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. Jan 31, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I start again...

Use the fact that the mass is the surface integral of the areal density over the whole surface. I.e.

[tex]M = \iint_{surface} \sigma dA[/tex]

And use the fact that the areal density is given to you as a function of the radius to integrate in polar coordinate. Recall that in polar coordinate, the area element is [itex]dA = rdrd\theta[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?