Calculate Thickness of Copper Plate | Density and Mass Formula

In summary, the circular plate of copper has a radius of .175m, a mass of 96.1 kg, and an area of .0962m^2. The thickness of the plate can be found by solving for volume using the given density and mass, and then dividing by the area of the plate. The calculated volume will be in units of m^3, which can then be divided by the area to get the thickness in units of m.
runner1738
Aflat circular plate of copper has a radius of .175m and a mass of 96.1 kg. What is the thickness of the plate? Answer in units of m.

I know that the density of copper is 8.92(10^3kg/m^3) and the area of the plate is .0962m^2, and i don't see how the thickness is related with the mass. maybe mass/density = volume or something like that

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have the area of the plate, think about what volume is for the circular plate. Area of the base X height of the plate. you are trying to solve for the height of the plate.
Density = mass/volume
You are given density and mass, so you can solve for volume. By cancelling unit, you are given a volume in m^3

Last edited:
so your saying its 96.1(mass)/8.92(density)=volume then volume/area gives me my answer?

yep i got it right thank you

1. How do you calculate the thickness of a copper plate?

To calculate the thickness of a copper plate, you can use the formula: thickness = mass / (density x area). This formula takes into account the mass and density of the copper plate, as well as the area of the plate. By plugging in these values, you can determine the thickness of the copper plate.

2. What is the density of copper?

The density of copper is approximately 8.96 g/cm³ at room temperature. This value may vary slightly depending on the purity of the copper and the temperature at which it is measured.

3. How do you measure the mass of a copper plate?

The mass of a copper plate can be measured using a scale or balance. Place the copper plate on the scale and record the reading. Make sure to account for the weight of any containers or tools used to hold the copper plate.

4. Can I use this formula to calculate the thickness of other materials?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the thickness of any material as long as you have the mass, density, and area of the material. Keep in mind that the density may vary for different materials, so be sure to use the correct value in the formula.

5. Why is it important to calculate the thickness of a copper plate?

Calculating the thickness of a copper plate is important for various reasons. It can help in determining the amount of material needed for a specific project, ensuring structural integrity and strength, and for quality control purposes. It is also a crucial step in the manufacturing process of copper products.