1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density and mass

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    Aflat circular plate of copper has a radius of .175m and a mass of 96.1 kg. What is the thickness of the plate? Answer in units of m.

I know that the density of copper is 8.92(10^3kg/m^3) and the area of the plate is .0962m^2, and i dont see how the thickness is related with the mass. maybe mass/density = volume or something like that
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2
    Since you have the area of the plate, think about what volume is for the circular plate. Area of the base X height of the plate. you are trying to solve for the height of the plate.
    Density = mass/volume
    You are given density and mass, so you can solve for volume. By cancelling unit, you are given a volume in m^3
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. Jan 29, 2005 #3
    so your saying its 96.1(mass)/8.92(density)=volume then volume/area gives me my answer?
  5. Jan 29, 2005 #4
    yep i got it right thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?