1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density at certain temps

1. Oct 8, 2004 #1
    lets say for example the density for gasoline is 730 kg/m^3 at 0 degree Celsisus

Will the density be different for at a diff temperature, or will it always remain constant?

If it is different, how would you calculate it? thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2004 #2
    Density is mass per unit volume (well, mass density anyways)

So heating or cooling would change the density beucase the volume that the substance would change. There are a number of different ways to find the change in volume of the substance...depending on what form it is in, etc.
  4. Oct 9, 2004 #3
    well for my homework question, it gives the avg coefficient of volume expansion. and from there on i have no idea how to calculate the density of gasoline at a diff temp.
  5. Oct 9, 2004 #4
    use the following equation:

[tex]\Delta V = \delta*V*\Delta T[/tex]

Where [tex]\Delta V[/tex] is the change in volume, [tex]\delta[/tex] is the coefficient of volume expansion, V is the current volume, and [tex]\Delta T[/tex] is the change in temp

Edit: Changed symbols to Latex
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  6. Oct 9, 2004 #5
    i know, but once u find the change in volume, how can u relate it to finding density at a certain temp?

for example, lets say density of gasoline is 730 kg/m^3 at 0 degrees

what will the density be at 20 degrees?

a gallon of gasoline occupies .00380 m^3 and the avg coefficient of volume expansion is 9.6e-4

So plugging it into the equation, i got a change of volume of 7.296e-5, with final volume being .00387296...now from here how would i be able to find the new density at the new temp?
  7. Oct 9, 2004 #6
    well, remember, mass density = mass / volume

you know the new volume...and you know the mass (hint: use the original density and the original volume to find the mass)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?