Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density correlation question

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    I had a question on a test this past friday that left me absolutely scratching my head.

"The greater the density of a liquid the greater its ...?"

1 volume
    2 area
    3 viscosity
    4 buoyancy

While viscosity seems like the best option, this question was for a piping/plumbing test, and viscosity was never ever mentioned in class or in the texts. I found it unlikely that they would assume people would go out and do random research on the topic, especially for a trade school. Can anybody give me their opinions with short explanation? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2
    boyancy is proportional to density, the greater the density of a fluid, the greater the boyant force

Boyant force= density of fluid X volume of displaced fluid X gravity

4. Jul 5, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I have virtually no education, but I can pretty much rule out 3 of the possible answers just by common sense. #3, viscosity ,would appear to me to be the correct answer. I don't know the engineering approach to why it would be applicable, but I can think of a couple of reasons why the other 3 are wrong.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  5. Jul 5, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

RTW, it appears that I misinterpreted the original post. I thought that he was asking about the relative buoyant force between the 'mystery material' and another liquid. Sorry.

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5
    I understand how buoyancy and density correlate to each other, but that is relative to the density of the substance it is in correct? In the context of that question (ie: not saying if its in water or in another substance at all) it is only stating that increased density also increases___? So does this mean that simply that the more dense an object is, the more buoyant it will be? Sorry if this is easy, I only have 1 week's worth of this material under my belt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?