Density-Force Equation

  1. When an object of lower density is surrounded by a fluid of higher density, the object rises to the top of the fluid. Clearly, a force is acting on the object, as it is accelerating upwards. I'm sure some physicist has given a name to this force, and there is also probably an equation for it, but I'm not sure what it is as my teacher did not teach it yet and I can get a more concise answer here than Google. So, what is the name and equation for this Density-Force?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. The name of the force is buoyancy force, and the name of the principle used to find it is the Archimedes principle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted