Understanding the Behavior of Variable Viscosity Fluids: A Chemist's Perspective

• Thread starter vargasjc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation is about a researcher looking into the development of a theoretical material with variable viscosity fluid and secondary external variables. They hope to link known variables such as temperature and material stiffness with Fick's Laws of diffusion in order to calculate the rate of diffusion in the material. They also mention considering the effects of surface tension, viscoelasticity, and electrochemical potential in this process.
vargasjc
Good morning. I am researching the development of a theoretical material that behaves in a very particular way. Specifically, I am talking about a variable viscosity fluid whose properties change in function of small temperature changes and a secondary external variable (let's say an applied voltage, for example, though this could change). Now, the concentration of particles within the fluid is (at least temporarily) variable and stable within the structure of the fluid, and this would be possible because of the second external variable. This viscous fluid would be able to behave like a solid under the proper conditions (think glass).

Now if we put a column of this fluid and have the ability to apply both of these external variables in precise amounts at the very least two things will occur:
1-The height of the column will change as the fluid expands/contracts.
2-Diffusion will occur within the column whenever the parameters change to achieve a new state of equilibrium (the column is a closed system though, the total mass remains constant).

Now, I am theoretically able to determine the overall total number of particles that have migrated from any part of the fluid to another on any given time, also I have the height of the column at all times, and the total number of particles in the fluid (thus mass).

What I am looking for is a way to link these known variables with 1) temperature, and 2) material stiffness or viscosity. In particular, I'd like to listen to chemists to see if is possible and how to apply Fick's Laws to this matter. Basically I need the point of view of a chemist to guide me in the right direction.

JC

Chemistry news on Phys.org
- Fick’s Laws of diffusion are a set of equations that describe the flux of a diffusing substance due to a concentration gradient. Essentially, Fick’s Law states that the rate of diffusion is proportional to the concentration gradient of the substance. In order to apply Fick’s Law to your theoretical material, you would need to consider the temperature and viscosity of the fluid as well as the concentration gradient of the particles in the fluid. With these parameters, you should be able to calculate the rate of diffusion. You may also want to consider the effects of surface tension and viscoelasticity on the diffusion process. Additionally, depending on the nature of the external variables you are applying to the fluid, you may need to consider the effects of electrochemical potential on the diffusion process.

1. What is density formulation?

Density formulation is a scientific method used to calculate the density of a substance. It involves measuring the mass and volume of a material and using the formula density = mass/volume to determine its density.

2. Why is density formulation important?

Density formulation is important because it allows scientists to accurately determine the physical properties of a substance. Density is a fundamental property that can provide valuable information about the composition, purity, and behavior of a material.

3. How is density formulation used in real life?

Density formulation is used in various industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and construction. It is used to ensure the quality and consistency of products, determine the strength and durability of materials, and identify counterfeit or adulterated substances.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of density formulation?

The accuracy of density formulation can be affected by temperature, pressure, and impurities in the material being measured. It is important to control these factors to obtain precise and reliable results.

5. Are there any limitations to density formulation?

Yes, there are some limitations to density formulation. It can only be applied to homogeneous materials, and it may not accurately represent the density of a material in all states (e.g. solid, liquid, gas). Additionally, it may not be suitable for materials with irregular shapes or complex compositions.