1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density Function and E(x)

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    Density Function and E(x)[solved]

The density function of X is given by

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/48/83b2bf602cc895a007a673a9a23c3c1.png

If the expectation of X is E(X)=-1, find a and b.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm actually working ahead of the class with this problem, so the material hasn't been covered, but I would like to figure it out. I know the equation for E(X), but don't know how to relate it to this problem. Please help.

E(X)=∫xf(x)dx

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have two unknowns a and b, and you are given two conditions. f(x) is a density so what does that tell you? And you know E(x) value. Write down those two equations and solve for the unknowns a and b.

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3
    - I haven't been able to figure it out with what you said. I know that the probability density function equation is the integral from a to b of f(x)dx, but I'm not sure how to relate that to the E(X) formula.

5. Nov 1, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The probability density function is not "the integral from a to b of f(x)dx". The probability density function is f(x). But what do you know about probability density functions and their integrals? That will give you one equation in a and b. And the integral for E(x) = -1 will give you another.

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You must have
    [tex]\int_0^1 xf(x)dx= E(x)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\int_0^1 f(x) dx= 1[/tex]

Actually do those integrals with f(x)= a+ bx and solve the two equations for a and b.

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6
    - Thanks. I wasn't quite grasping what i was being told at first, but as soon as you put both equations up, I knew what to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook