1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density function

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what's the density function for [tex]X-Y[/tex] if [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] are independent and continously distributed on [tex][0,1][/tex]?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you must show some work before getting help; what have you tried?
  4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    The answer of course depends on how X and Y are distributed. Are you given two specific distributions or do you want to calculate the answer in all its generality? See the Jacobi method to get a way of calculating the pdf of X-Y.
  5. Nov 15, 2007 #4
    ok... here's my try...

[tex]X[/tex] has the uniform distribution [tex]f_X(x) = 1[/tex]. to get the distribution for [tex]Y[/tex]: [tex]F_{-Y}(y) = P(-Y \leq y) = P(Y \geq -y) = 1 - F_Y(-y) \Rightarrow f_Y(y) = f_Y(-y) = -1[/tex]

the formula for convulsion in this case is [tex]f_Z(z) = \int_\infty^\infty f_X(z-y)f_Y(y)dy[/tex].

combining this with [tex]f_Y(y)[/tex] leads to [tex]f_Z(z) = -\int_0^1 f_X(z-y)dy[/tex]

the integrand is zero if the condition 0 <= z-y <= 1 (z-1 <= y <= z) isn't fulfilled.

we get three cases:

1. if 0 <= z <= 1: [tex]f_Z(z) = -\int^z_0 dy = -z[/tex]
    2. if 1 < z <= 2: [tex]f_Z(z) = -\int^1_{z-1} dy = z - 2[/tex]
    3. if z < 0 or z > 2: [tex]f_Z(z) = 0[/tex]

it seems correct to me, but i'm not sure..
  6. Nov 16, 2007 #5
    here is my hint:

1. first define X - Y as Z

2. then graph X - Y <= Z on a graph

3. find the limits of integration

4. solve it and this gives the cumulative distribution function

5. take the derivative of the CDF with respect to Z
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?