1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density help required

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    Hi all,
    My problem is concerning density and how to calculate it. Basically, calculating density of a concrete cube. I've been given;

Weight (kg) In Air - 2.345,2.340
    In Water - 1.348, 1.360

Dimensions - Height - 1900mm
    Width - 320mm
    Depth - 180mm

I need to calculate the Density kg/m^3

Does it include the specific gravity etc..? I've searched google for ages but to no avail. Could it be, Weight in air/(weight in air - weight in water) to give S.G, thus 2.35...therefore a ratio 1:2.35 of water to cement. Taking density of water as 1000kg/m^3, density of concrete is 2350kg/m^3?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to have been given rather too much information. If you have the dimensions and the weight in air then you have the density ( simply mass / volume )
    Be carefull of the units.

If you wanted to be really picky you could include the bouyant effects of the air - although this wouldn't be worth it given the accuracy the dimensions are quoted to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?