1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density matrix and averages

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    I'm really excited to get this as a homework problem. I have wanted to feel good about this formalism is quantum mechanics for a while now but my own stupidity has been getting in the way... With this homework problem hopefully I can move on to a new level.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The most general observable is a density matrix. Generally it is a non-negative self-adjoint operator with trace 1. It has the general form
    [tex]
    \rho=\sum_{n}p_n |n\rangle\langle n|
    [/tex]

where [itex]p_n[/itex] is a classical probability distribution ([itex]\sum_{n} p_n=1,\; 0\leq p_n \leq 1[/itex]) and [itex]|n\rangle\langle n|[/itex] are projection operators that are not necessarily orthogonal. [itex]\rho[/itex] represents a classical statistical ensemble of quantum states where the state [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] appears with probability [itex]p_n[/itex]. The ensemble average of an operator [itex]O[/itex] is an ensemble of states described by a density matrix [itex]\rho[/itex] is
    [tex]
    \langle O \rangle_{\rho}=\mathbf{Tr}(O\rho )
    [/tex]
    Physically this is the average of a number of measurements of [itex]O[/itex] in a classical probability distribution of different states. Consider a polarized beam of protons where 30% of the protons have spin up in the x-direction and 70% have spin down in the z direction. Find the density matrix for this ensemble and compute the ensemble average of [itex]s_z[/itex] in this ensemble of protons.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \mathbb{I}=\sum_{n}|n\rangle\langle n|
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up the density matrix like this
    [tex]
    \rho=\frac{3}{10}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle \langle \uparrow_{x} |+\frac{7}{10}|\downarrow_{z}\rangle \langle \downarrow_{z} |
    [/tex]
    and with
    [tex]
    s_z=\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & -1
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]
    Then
    [tex]
    \langle s_z\rangle_{\rho}=\mathbf{Tr}\left[\frac{3}{10}\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & -1
    \end{pmatrix}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle \langle \uparrow_{x} |+\frac{7}{10}\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & -1
    \end{pmatrix}|\downarrow_{z}\rangle \langle \downarrow_{z} |\right]
    [/tex]
    Now I need help with how to compute the above...

May I have some help?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try finding the matrix representing the density operator with respect to the Sz eigenbasis.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    Well, here what I think I know...
    [tex]
    \mathbb{I}=|\uparrow_{z}\rangle\langle \uparrow_{z}|+|\downarrow_{z}\rangle \langle \downarrow_{z} |
    [/tex]
    so
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    |\uparrow_{x}\rangle &=|\uparrow_{z}\rangle\langle \uparrow_{z}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle+|\downarrow_{z} \rangle \langle \downarrow_{z}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle \\
    &= \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\
    &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    so
    [tex]
    |\uparrow_{x}\rangle\langle \uparrow_{x}|=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

Does that look right?

5. Sep 11, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Minor correction:
    [tex]\lvert \uparrow_{x} \rangle \langle \uparrow_{x}\rvert = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

6. Sep 11, 2011 #5
    Thank you,

Then
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    \rho &=\frac{3}{20}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}+\frac{7}{10}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} \\
    &=\frac{1}{20}\begin{pmatrix} 3 & 3 \\ 3 & 17 \end{pmatrix}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    Then
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    s_z \cdot \rho &=\frac{\hbar}{2}\frac{1}{20}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}3 & 3 \\ 3 & 17 \end{pmatrix} \\
    &=\frac{\hbar}{40}\begin{pmatrix} 3 & 3 \\ -3 & -17 \end{pmatrix}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    So
    [tex]
    \mathbf{Tr}(s_z\cdot\rho)=-\frac{7\hbar}{20}
    [/tex]

Does this look good?

7. Sep 11, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, looks good.

8. Sep 11, 2011 #7
    Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook