1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of a block

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    A uniform block of height .180 m, floats in olive oil of density 918 kg/m^3. The bottom of the block is 0.1768 m below the surface of the olive oil. What is the density of the block?

Anyone have an idea than can help me to begin this problem....plz help...give me an idea so i cna try it...plz
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2
  4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    another help with this problem...
  5. Nov 29, 2008 #4
    mass of block = mass of displaced oil
  6. Nov 29, 2008 #5
    See the explanation i provided in another of your threads "Density of the object" https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=275616
    Modify the final equation, (Hint: height is directly proportional to the volume of block)
  7. Nov 29, 2008 #6
    can u help me with this one...
  8. Nov 29, 2008 #7
    we're trying to follow the rules of the forum which direct us not to just solve the problems for people but instead to help people work through their problems and gain a better understanding

you haven't posted any work or attempts on your end yet, if you do we can better see where your confusion lies
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?