1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of a dye

1. Feb 27, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to figure out the number density (molecules/unit volume) of the dye for a sample of dye doped PMMA. The information I have is that the dye makes up 1% by weight of the mixture used to make the sample. I also have the chemical structure of the dye. I looked up the structure of the PMMA and found it here: PMMA Structure, but I don't understand what the brackets around the [tex]CH_2-C[/tex] group signify.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

The diagram of the molecule shows the unit molecule or monomer - methyl methacrylate. PMMA, or poly-methyl methacrylate, is a polymerized structure. Presumably, they could not make the brackets large enough in that example.

For the molecular mass, try using MM of methyl methacrylate monomer, which has 2 less hydrogen atoms than the MMA molecule, because in the polymer, these sites bond with other carbon atoms in the adjacent MMA molecules.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?