What is the radial density distribution of a neutron star?

In summary, there is not a simple-model equation for the radial density of a neutron star, as it can vary depending on the specific distribution and the balance between gravitational potential and strong interaction. However, for a regular star, the density can be approximated by the equation p = p_o *(1-(r/R)^2). It should be noted that while the density of a neutron star can be quite high, reaching up to 8×10^17 kg/m³, it is limited by degeneracy pressure. The inclusion of other factors, such as plasma formation, can complicate the model.
K.J.Healey
Is there a simple-model equation for the radial density of a neutron star, from core to shell? I assume there have been models of fermionic gases, anyone have something onhand
Is it a specific distribution? Linear? 1/r^2?
I know its just a balancing of gravitational potential with strong interaction in the simplest of cases, which would lead to what? Nuclear density orders, with some radial distribution from core to shell?

On a similar note, what about for any normal star, such as our sun? (Not interested in numbers but mass distributions)

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Just found for a regular star, something like:

p = p_o *(1-(r/R)^2)

that sound right?

That looks right for a regular star - as a ball of gas.
I don't know for a neutron star - it may be constant! If the neutrons are supported by degeneracy pressure then that might be the maximum density they can get.

but observational data says that a neutron star's density is around 1×10^9 kg/m³ in the crust and up to 8×10^17 kg/m³ deeper inside.

thats quite a jump in orders of magnitude

(http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/nstar.html)

But density pressure can be "broken" right? Creating plasmas (Q/G) at the core? I know that s for a much more difficult model if I start including every aspect. I was just asking to see if anyone here had any insight.

1. What is the density of a neutron star?

The density of a neutron star is incredibly high, ranging from approximately 10^17 to 10^18 kg/m^3.

2. How does the density of a neutron star compare to other celestial bodies?

The density of a neutron star is much higher than any other known celestial body, including the sun and even black holes.

3. What causes the high density of a neutron star?

The high density of a neutron star is caused by the extreme gravitational force exerted by its incredibly high mass, which is packed into a relatively small volume.

4. Can we measure the density of a neutron star?

Yes, the density of a neutron star can be calculated using equations that take into account its mass and radius, which can be determined through observations and theoretical models.

5. What is the significance of the density of a neutron star?

The density of a neutron star is significant because it provides insight into the fundamental physics of matter under extreme conditions, and also has important implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution.