Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of a Neutron Star

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    Is there a simple-model equation for the radial density of a neutron star, from core to shell? I assume there have been models of fermionic gases, anyone have something onhand
    Is it a specific distribution? Linear? 1/r^2?
    I know its just a balancing of gravitational potential with strong interaction in the simplest of cases, which would lead to what? Nuclear density orders, with some radial distribution from core to shell?

On a similar note, what about for any normal star, such as our sun? (Not interested in numbers but mass distributions)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2
    Just found for a regular star, something like:

p = p_o *(1-(r/R)^2)

that sound right?
  4. Feb 13, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks right for a regular star - as a ball of gas.
    I don't know for a neutron star - it may be constant! If the neutrons are supported by degeneracy pressure then that might be the maximum density they can get.
  5. Feb 13, 2008 #4
    but observational data says that a neutron star's density is around 1×10^9 kg/m³ in the crust and up to 8×10^17 kg/m³ deeper inside.

thats quite a jump in orders of magnitude

But density pressure can be "broken" right? Creating plasmas (Q/G) at the core? I know that s for a much more difficult model if I start including every aspect. I was just asking to see if anyone here had any insight.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?